I think I am going to love my NERD...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bankyf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I think I am going to love my NERD, if I can find a mounting solution that actually works. The included mounting system is terrible. Over the course of 3 dive this weekend, the NERD spent the majority of the time dangling from the loop completely out of view. I wasted a good part of the first dive trying to get it to stay in place and basically gave up when it came off on dive 2 I have watched the video and it does not help. The strap slips through the buckle and there is just no way to get it as tight as I need it ti be. Any attempt to adust the loc-line to get it into good viewing position loosens the strap. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE come out with a better mounting solution.

Hi bankyf,

We are always trying to make our products better. We plan work with the rebreather manufacturers to make several varieties of custom mounts for different rebreathers in the next 3-6 months. What rebreather are you diving?

On the other hand, I have been with lots of people doing hundreds of dives on the NERD and having it fall off during the dive hasn't been a problem. I have never had it move once it is on the hose right. The locline does move sometimes, but I usually adjust it once in the beginning of the dive and then maybe fine tune it a couple of times during the dive.

You might consider sending us an email to see if we can help.

Bruce

I'd like to offer my expertise in helping you with your problem.

Please send the NERD to me via FedEx and I will spend a while working out the best mounting method. It shouldn't take more than, say, 3 years. When I've got it perfected, I'll send you photos.

There will be no charge for this service. I'm glad to help a fellow SB'er.

Bruce,
Thank you for the fast reply, and on a Sunday at that. I am diving a KISS Classic with a Golem Gear Shrimp BOV. The only place I can really put the strap is on the bayonet nut. The connection to the loop hose has a hose clamp in the way and the loop hose itself is not an option. The Bayonet nut is not quite as wide as I would like for this mounting method, but the bigger issue is that the strap will not stay tight. The strap slips through the buckle every time. I have tried wet, dry, explored alternate ways of routing through the buckle, etc. and nothing will work. If I happen to get it tight enough to stay on the bayonet nut, it loosens up as soon as I try to re-position the display. I have a mount from Golem Gear that mounted my Shearwater HUD securely to the BOV. I looked it over yesterday in an attempt to figure out a way to attach the locline to the Golem Gear HUD mount, but don't see a way that isn't likely to fail quickly. I would be glad to take this to email if you prefer, but I thought by leaving it here it may help save someone some frustration in the future.

Hi bankyf,

We are always trying to make our products better. We plan work with the rebreather manufacturers to make several varieties of custom mounts for different rebreathers in the next 3-6 months. What rebreather are you diving?

On the other hand, I have been with lots of people doing hundreds of dives on the NERD and having it fall off during the dive hasn't been a problem. I have never had it move once it is on the hose right. The locline does move sometimes, but I usually adjust it once in the beginning of the dive and then maybe fine tune it a couple of times during the dive.

You might consider sending us an email to see if we can help.

Bruce

Is there any chance you can post a picture so we can try to help.

Bruce

Not sure what you wanted a picture of, so here we go...

The nylon strap pictured below will not stay tight. It slips right through the buckle when I tighten the cantilever arm. Wet dry, doesn't seem to make any difference.
photo 5.jpg

The strap will wrap nicely around the bayonet nut with good positioning, I just cant get the strap to stay tight enough for this to work.

photo 4.jpg

This is the Golem Gear HUD mount on the bayonet nut.

photo 3.jpg

If I had a means to cut the dovetail used on the Shearwater mount into the side of the Golem Gear mount, I think I would have a very solid setup. I am still exploring other options to rigidly attach these two pieces.
photo 2.jpg

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 360
After watching your youtube video again, I have realized that the strap on my NERD was incorrectly woven out of the box. After re-weaving as it is shown in the video, I am now able to maintain tightness on the strap. I would still love for you to come up with a hard mount solution for the GG BOV if possible.

Last edited:
That's both good and bad news. I'm glad to hear you have a solution, and we have logged the non-conformance event. One of engineers is investigating the wrong threading during assembly. I don't know if it will work with the Shrimp, but we would usually put the strap right over the hose clamp. The big square ring should fit right over the screw. It should be very secure.

I think there will be a variety of hard mounts in the long run, but since it's a collaboration, it will happen over months.

Thanks for letting us know about your problem so we can take steps to prevent it in the future.

Bruce

The big square ring over the screw makes sense. I thought I had tried that, so I had to go downstairs and verify. Unfortunately the Shrimp must us a larger hose clamp than what you based this on. I am satisfied with the current solution around the bayonet nut with the re-woven strap. You may want to consider editing the you-tube video to cover verifying/properly weaving the strap(or perhaps I am an idiot for not realizing earlier)

That's both good and bad news. I'm glad to hear you have a solution, and we have logged the non-conformance event. One of engineers is investigating the wrong threading during assembly. I don't know if it will work with the Shrimp, but we would usually put the strap right over the hose clamp. The big square ring should fit right over the screw. It should be very secure.

I think there will be a variety of hard mounts in the long run, but since it's a collaboration, it will happen over months.

Thanks for letting us know about your problem so we can take steps to prevent it in the future.

Bruce

Back
Top Bottom