I tested positive for covid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pepperbelly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Thanks to some irresponsible extended family my wife, daughter and I now have covid. Their symptoms have been like very bad colds/flu.
So far I have no symptoms-it’s been several days to a week since my exposure. The steroid is making my pulse faster than normal, and I will be talking to my doctor about that this morning.
My breathing is fine-lungs are clear and only sn occasional cough due to sinus drainage- thanks mountain cedar.
Do I need a special physical before I start diving? It will probably be spring-summer before I get wet.
BTW it’s been 2 years since I quit smoking. My timing may have been perfect. Thanks for the support I got here.

sorry to hear pepper, hope you and your family gets thru this quick, GOD-speed recovery !

long story short.....

COVID can cause long term pulmonary and/or cardiovascular complications. Even if you have minimal or no severe symptoms. Before you dive it is an extremely good idea to get checked out by an MD.

FYI...i'm a frontline responder and i have seen a number of very serious impacts. As divers we need to be a little extra cautious.

note: "can cause" does not mean "will cause". The media is real good at making a big deal out of worst case scenarios. Goes from information to clickbait real easy. And guess what makes more money?

I had most of the symptoms (as did most of the office) back in January before it was a thing. It was bad enough that once clear I went ahead and waited another month just to make sure everything was really clear. The Doctor diagnosed it as Bronchitis. That was before it existed here. Next time I see him I will have the records updated.

I would start off with using common sense. How do you feel? Can you exercise without being any more winded than you were before you got sick? If you feel you must still see a doctor about it, sure go see one. Were you borderline before you got sick? Maybe you need to see one for your mental health more than your physical health. Not knowing what condition you are in (before or after) it is hard to tell you what you need. This is where you must decide what you need, or want.

Sorry to hear...where do you believe you were infected? Outside, or within your own home?

The effects of Covid on the lungs and diving aren't known at this time, but you may want to hit up

@Duke Dive Medicine

Right now my pulse is high- high for me, and even walking from one room to another makes it jump to around 100 but it drops to 80 in a few minutes. My resting pulse is normally 65-75. That may just be from the steroid since I wasn’t like that before.
I will see my cardiologist. We have been watching borderline high blood pressure-my bicycle is really helping that. I will have to see what exercise does now and I want to talk to him before trying.

Sorry to hear...where do you believe you were infected? Outside, or within your own home?

The effects of Covid on the lungs and diving aren't known at this time, but you may want to hit up

@Duke Dive Medicine

My wife daughter and I stayed home alone for Thanksgiving. Two members of our extended family went to a friend’s house that had a lot of people there. They wanted to come see us so last Tuesday we invited them over after they assured us they had been isolating to make smores over our firepit. Apparently that was all it took.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom