I recreation and spearfish dive. Need BCD, any advice?

I'm an experienced diver but only spearfishing about 3yrs. Recommedatiins on BCD?

• Bcd

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 1st stage and regulators

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any backplate in either plastic, aluminum or stainless steel. Any wing of 18 to 30 pounds lift.

Go to the Scubadiving's reg reviews online and pick a good breathing reg that scores highest in all categories. Brands change regs even in the same model year to year sometimes and what was good last year could suck now. Many popular brand and models suck for spearfishing. Fighting fish you will need high flow and low breathing resistance.

Get a Shearwater with user defined GFs so your computer can grow with your abilities and training.

No need for a custom vanity gun either, a Biller, JBL or Rhino will give you all you need and have available parts.

Freedive fins in medium to stiff work for most spearfishing situations.

Cheapest gloves possible.

My bad. I like to see newbie hunters start out with something that is rock solid on the surface in rough water. The game below will pull them ever farther from a rock-solid beginner's base. YM obviously V's...

85 ft Dive on 13 ft Pony Almost Ends Badly
The op claimed he's not a new diver, just took a break.

DD is good people and since that post we have since dove together. A couple years ago doing the Tampa Bay Spearfishing Challenge on The Florida Middle Grounds we had a pretty funny incident we caught on video with some quality audio.

It should be noted that he swam into it. :confused::)

DD taught me a lot over the years and if he were still here I'd imagine he would concure with the advice I am giving. But after getting to know him, I'd also offer this, he truly is a dumpster diver. That BC you left out by the trash after buying a new one. He'd dive it. Lol

Jim truly earned his nickname. The only things he had on my boat that were new or nearly new were Dano's products he was either testing or bought.

You do not want a jacket bc for spearfishing. Nor do you want weight integration. A rubber weight belt is still superior for many reasons. That thread is 12 years old and unrelated to spearfishing.

Adjustable straps are a good idea though. I was fortunate enough to buy a Dive Rite HunterPac before they were discontinued. It is very similar to a back plate and wing with the benefit of not having a plate and loops to allow free sliding and adjustment of the shoulder straps through the waist harness. Plates are often unnecessary because most Florida spearfishermen are diving steel tanks. It is one of the best designs I've seen, especially for spearfishing because you don't have the concern of a pinched wing on an often crowded private dive boat.

If my HunterPac fails I will likely try and mimic the design through the use of some sort of soft plate and wing.

That said, you can add aftermarket loops to the plate for adjustable shoulder straps.

I added similar ones to my doubles rig which is a true bp/w.

I recently saw that DGX is selling a similar loop to the Mares SF2 loop for less. It has the same measurements.

I have a pair of the Mares SF2 loops on my plate, I made and attached some webbing strips for my dive rite weight pockets and waist D-rings to attach to so that they would not move as I tightened/loosened the shoulder straps vis-a-vis the loops. I plan to make the same for my wife's plate but will most likely buy the less expensive DGX version of the loops:

DGX S/S Loop Adjustment Ring

-Z

Here is advice from a professional. (I bought his ScubaPro classic vest.)

ScubaPro Classic Plus BC

He could give you far more info, but ummm, errrrr, uhhhh he seems to be permabanned on this board...

Where a couple of the really really good ones have gone
left with some as stiff as a marines uniform in boot camp

Back
Top Bottom