I need your ideas and opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kestrell

Reaction score
Okay, here goes; I’m sure this isn’t the most original way to start my first post, but I’m doing it anyway.

Hi, I’m new to scuba (actually I was certified a long time ago, but never did anything with it.) and I wanted some help with selecting my gear.

I know the basic stuff about getting a mask for fit etc. and plan to get a cheap snorkel since I will probably be leaving it behind on most dives.

Any way, I have been doing a little research (not by reading dive magazines) and here is the gear I have selected so far.

Reg./Octo. – Atomic M1
BCD – Zeagle Ranger
Dive Comp. Suunto Vytec

I will probably go with an Aeris mask that fit me well, but I’m not sure yet.

Fins are the next item on my list to look at, and I want to go with a paddle fin as opposed to a split fin. I’m not sure of what fin, so any feedback would be appreciated.

I also want to add some mini gauges (probably Scubapro) as a back-up to the computer and just clip them off to my BC.

As for a wet suit, I’ll probably get a 3mil Henderson and a 7mil. Too.

Any and all feedback on my choices will be greatly appreciated. I know that this package will be a bit pricey, but I do not want to end up being limited by my gear (or be let down either), and how much money would I save if I have to go out and replace something in a year or two if it breaks or I out grow it?

By the way, I guess it would help to tell you where I live. I live in Pennsylvania, so I will be doing a lot of quarry dives and diving off the coast of New Jersey, and occasionally as far down as Virginia.

Your choice of gear looks good. I have an Atomic reg and I love it. I have a friend the uses a Zeagle Ranger and he really likes it. As for the fins, thats a personal choice like the mask. I use Blade Fins. I like stiff paddle fins but I know people that love split fins. Try as many styles as you can. Some people hate stiff paddle fins. As for the mask, if it fits it's the right one. Features don't matter much if it leaks all the time.
Henderson makes good suits. The suit will depend on where you plan to dive so I can't make any suggestions.

Good luck and Enjoy!

Scott

Kestrell:
Okay, here goes; I’m sure this isn’t the most original way to start my first post, but I’m doing it anyway.

Hi, I’m new to scuba (actually I was certified a long time ago, but never did anything with it.) and I wanted some help with selecting my gear.

I know the basic stuff about getting a mask for fit etc. and plan to get a cheap snorkel since I will probably be leaving it behind on most dives.

Any way, I have been doing a little research (not by reading dive magazines) and here is the gear I have selected so far.

Reg./Octo. – Atomic M1
BCD – Zeagle Ranger
Dive Comp. Suunto Vytec

I will probably go with an Aeris mask that fit me well, but I’m not sure yet.

Fins are the next item on my list to look at, and I want to go with a paddle fin as opposed to a split fin. I’m not sure of what fin, so any feedback would be appreciated.

I also want to add some mini gauges (probably Scubapro) as a back-up to the computer and just clip them off to my BC.

As for a wet suit, I’ll probably get a 3mil Henderson and a 7mil. Too.

Any and all feedback on my choices will be greatly appreciated. I know that this package will be a bit pricey, but I do not want to end up being limited by my gear (or be let down either), and how much money would I save if I have to go out and replace something in a year or two if it breaks or I out grow it?

By the way, I guess it would help to tell you where I live. I live in Pennsylvania, so I will be doing a lot of quarry dives and diving off the coast of New Jersey, and occasionally as far down as Virginia.

Unless you have actually used that gear for several dives ...

My suggestion is that before you buy gear you should rent/borrow as many different models and brands as possible and dive them. This will help reduce the amount of gear you buy and then wish you had not.

Most dive gear looks cool on the wall and that's it.

Some works well in the pool and that's it.

Even less works well in OW for your purposes.

Fewer still is the gear that works well and you can find no fault with it after half-a-dozen dives.

Spending a little money now on good research will save you a boat-load on wasted purchases.

The thing I would question is why the M1... and not the B2. Are you doing a lot of tech or cold?? If recreational diving, the B2 might be a better choice as you get the swivel which is actually real nice - and the only thing you are giving up is the environmental kit, fins on the second... and the difference in metal. So if going tech... M2... Recreational B2.

And the Ranger is great - unless you want something that packs up smaller - then the Escape... A little less money, and size, and lift. 35 instead of 44 lbs of lift.

So really I'd have to ask some more questions until I could give an honest opinion on the subtle differences in the gear. I personally don't care for the Suunto all that much - but I know a lot of people like them. I just have issues with the algorithms....

Excellent choices, all of them! Good to start with quality gear. A mini-SPG to back up the Vytec is definitely in order--mine rarely fails to transmit the air pressure, but does so often enough that I want the gauge.

Fins--you either need to borrow several sets or accept that you are going to own at least 2 sets. Try ScubaPro Jets, Avanti Quattros, Cressi Rondines.

At least consider getting 1 drysuit rather than 2 wetsuits. A personal decision, but 2 good Henderson wetsuits will not be cheap, and a decent drysuit will handle all but the warmest water temps.

theskull

scubatoys:
The thing I would question is why the M1... and not the B2. Are you doing a lot of tech or cold?? If recreational diving, the B2 might be a better choice as you get the swivel which is actually real nice - and the only thing you are giving up is the environmental kit, fins on the second... and the difference in metal. So if going tech... M2... Recreational B2.

And the Ranger is great - unless you want something that packs up smaller - then the Escape... A little less money, and size, and lift. 35 instead of 44 lbs of lift.

So really I'd have to ask some more questions until I could give an honest opinion on the subtle differences in the gear. I personally don't care for the Suunto all that much - but I know a lot of people like them. I just have issues with the algorithms....

Thanks for the advise. To answer your question I would like to have the option to dive in cold weather. Does the B2 come with a sealed 1st stage? A few divers here, that dive off New Jersey, highly recommend this. Also, I've never had a problem with a non-swivel second, and it would just be something else that might fail.

theskull:
Excellent choices, all of them! Good to start with quality gear. A mini-SPG to back up the Vytec is definitely in order--mine rarely fails to transmit the air pressure, but does so often enough that I want the gauge.

Fins--you either need to borrow several sets or accept that you are going to own at least 2 sets. Try ScubaPro Jets, Avanti Quattros, Cressi Rondines.

At least consider getting 1 drysuit rather than 2 wetsuits. A personal decision, but 2 good Henderson wetsuits will not be cheap, and a decent drysuit will handle all but the warmest water temps.

theskull

Yes, I would love to get a dry suit. I want to get a DUI crushed neoprene, but they are expensive. I'll probably put that purchase off for 6-12 months. As for the fins, I'm sure I'll end up with a few pair, that for the feedback.

Kestrell:
Thanks for the advise. To answer your question I would like to have the option to dive in cold weather. Does the B2 come with a sealed 1st stage? A few divers here, that dive off New Jersey, highly recommend this. Also, I've never had a problem with a non-swivel second, and it would just be something else that might fail.

You can seal any of the first stages - and either buy it that way, or do it later. How cold are you getting in?? You really don't have to worry much about sealing the 1st stage unless your temps are down around the 40 mark.

And I've yet to see a swivel failure from them - but you can order one with a standard hose... but if you're doing a standard hose, and environmental seal kit, you might just get the M1 instead of the B2.

Yeah I gave my dive bud harrassment about his swivel about three years ago... and he has yet to have a problem with it.

Back
Top Bottom