I need you opinions please on long hoses...+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I recently acquired (long story) a 7ft hose and I think I want to try to use it.

I currently use an octo/inflator combo and am comfortable handing off my primary reg in case of emergency. My pony bottle has a 5ft hose but I don't carry it on every dive.

My thinking is to change the 5ft hose to my primary reg, using a swivel connecter at the reg and running it under my right arm. The 7ft I can put on my pony and will stay bungied in place with the pony. The biggest reason for changing things is to get a paniced diver alittle farther away from me. My rig as it is leaves them right in my face with minimal ability to move my head when breathing off the octo+.

Some of you will say to use the 7ft on a necklace but I think that may be overkill for the diving I do. And one thing I have to consider is this is the rig I use in OW classes as a DM so I need to stay within a configuration the students will understand.

I realize I may have some excess hose to deal with using the 5ft but if I tuck the excess under my waistband, will that work?

What do y'all think?

TIA
Dee

I had an extra long hose on my primary and had a little trouble with it. The problem was the hose bowed out pulling on my regulator which in turn caused me to bite down to keep it in my mouth. This caused stress on my jaw and sometimes headaches. Mine wasn't long enough to tuck it under my arm though. I ended up getting a new reg set (not because of the problem) which works perfectly.

I guess if you can get it worked out so the extra doesn't pull or push on your reg in any way it may work.

Jennifer,
http://www.MichiganShipwrecks.com

I wrap a 5 ft hose on my primary with no problems, plenty of room to swim side by side when sharing air, no bowing and stress. Also, there is no excess hose that needs to be tucked, but this may vary depending on a diver's size.

Personally, I would want a panicking diver close by where I have a chance of controlling him/her. I don't want someone with a 7 ft hose on my primary air supply bolting for the surface and all I can reach are their thrashing fins.

A 7 ft hose is only needed in an overhead environment, I would leave it in the closet and use a shorter hose.

Ralph

I concur with Ralph. Leave the 7 footer at home unless you're in a wreck or cave. Its purpose is tandem swimming while sharing air. There is no hose long enough to keep a panic victim from climbing it right back into your face - if you want distance then carry a pony and hand that off to 'em. I also agree that if I'm sharing air in open water, I want the air donee nice and close where I can control 'em.
Rick

I understand what you're saying. I agree a panicking diver needs to be close enough to control the situation. But I think the 5ft hose will still keep them close enough for that while at the same time giving me a bit more space to maneuver to the back of them to hold the reg in their mouth, if needed. The 7 ft hose would definately be too long, giving him/her the distance to get out of my grasp and bolt. Of course, if they get too combative, I guess you just let them go and deal with the situation on the surface.

I generally use my pony for wrecks and solo dives so the 7 footer should be OK there.

I'm glad to hear the 5 ft hose doesn't have to be tucked anywhere.

Dee

Dee,
You might want to check out http://www.Halcyon.net and click on the DIR principal, they address the long hose & the info might be of some use to you.

Dee, Ralph is right on the money with this one. An excessively long hose serves no purpose.. in fact it can work against you. The only time I consider using a 7ft hose is when diving extreme overhead environments. Otherwise, I'm quite content with the standard configuration.

Mario

I appreciate you ideas and opinions. I think I'll leave the 7 footer on the shelf for now. I'm checking out the Halcyon site, tho!

Thanks again!
Dee

Back
Top Bottom