I need more Information about skin bends

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rhea Lynn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I was diving Sat here in Colombia. 2 dives, bit deeper then I have in a while, the first 110 ft multi level, safety stops on both dives, but nothing out of the ordinary. (With other people who are fine. )I have logged over 700 dives over 19 years and never had a problem like this.
2 hours after diving I started getting pain in my left chest area, I went to lay down and I started to feel a building, spreading 'fire like' pain and itching in my stomach, hips and thighs (yes the fatty areas of my body) I looked in the mirror and saw a purplish molted looking rash spreading as I watched. There was a lot of surface pain. I also had some tingling in my shoulder.
Needless to say I felt anxious and scared not knowing what was happening. I contacted DAN and was told this was symptoms of level 1. The discoloration disappeared almost as fast as it appeared. I saw a Doctor here and have no other serious symptoms. I am still experiencing tenderness in the area of my stomach where the rash was.
With language being an issue for me here I am looking for some more information. Of course the big questions Why me, Why now? How long should I stay out of the water?And also in this moment do I need to worry about anything else?
I was not wearing a suit, have no allergies and am healthy.
The diving is beautiful here in Cartagena, by the way Warm, no need for a suit.

Hello Rhea Lynn:

You have asked a question without a good answer. Simply put, the cause of the skin mottling following diving is not known. It has been proposed that it results from gas bubble formation under the skin, or embolization of the capillaries of the skin. It is sometimes seen in accompaniment with other signs of neurologic DCS.

Some divers have developed cases of “skin bends” rashes and have tested positive for a PFO. When this was closed, this post-dive problem ceased.

One study indicated that the PFO – in divers anyway – increases in size as one ages. This might be why you have not seen this before.

Valsalva-like maneuvers can cause the arterialization of bubbles from the venous system. Valsalva-like includes holding your breath while pulling or pushing, lifting or straining. Bubble formation following a dive and then subsequent exertion could be a cause.

Dr Deco :doctor:

The next class in Decompression Physiology for 2008 is November 15 - 16. :read:
This class is at the USC campus in Los Angeles.
Advanced Decompression Physiology Seminar Information

If you want to read more about Patent Foramen Ovale (PFO) and how it relates to scuba diving check out DAN Article on PFO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom