I need help with a hairball!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've cleaned my lens and can't get rid of this fuzzy. Is my sensor dirty, and if so, how do I clean it?

fuzz3.jpg

fuzz2.jpg

fuzz1.jpg

A little castor oil will help! LOL!

If it's on the sensor you can't really get to it. I wonder how it got there to start with? Maybe if you removed the batteries and gave it sort of a gentle whack it would dislodge whatever it was. 'Course then it may just float around and do the same thing, just maybe not right in the middle!

Or you could always send it to Dr. Oly.

if its an expensive camera, don't mess with it, take it to an authorized dealer for cleaning, its cheap relatively to a damaged sensor/lens/shutter.

I would do a background check on those dealers though, I've heard more than once about camera returning worse than it was sent...
I'm sure there's a way to check if a dealer is an authorized dealer through the manufacturer's website.

man..that just sucks! Sorry to say that sending it in would be you best bet of getting rid of it.

I'm going to give it the "battery out - whack attack". I hope it will cough the thing up and get it over with. You know how much I enjoy dealing with Oly service - cough, wheeze!

That I remember...oh boy...no fun memories

Unfortunately Yoda, the sensor inside of a PnS digital is sealed behind the lens.

Another possibility, and just as bad, is that there is stuff in the interior elements of the lens, but this is less likely as I'd think that would have showed up from day one.

My guess is that OLY quality control missed this, and the offensive dust was in the camera from the beginning, and worked it's way onto the sensor.

If the camera is under warranty, then send it in to get it cleaned. This involves more than cleaning as they will have to take it apart to get to the sensor.

If the camera is NOT under warranty, I'd send OLY a copy of an image showing the problem, and suggest that this was a defect, and see if they will cover the costs. If you have to pay for this, it's going to run over $100, and likely double that or more.

Sorry dude, hope you can work this out with OLY. If OLY is uncorporative sometimes a gentle mention of potential negative publicity on a big photo forum like dpreview would help, but I'd save that as a last resort.

Thanks Ron. I may still be under warranty from the sensor repair. I'll check it out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom