I need a tie breaker

Please help me decide by showing your preference.

• Custom Divers Canister

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • HDVSEATEC Canister

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MargaritaMike

Divemaster
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Tomorrow (June 6, 2019) at about 10 p.m. CDT (0300 UTC)) I am going to order a canister to put my PLB in. I can't decide between the Custom Divers canister or the Hdvseatek canister. I have to order tomorrow in order to get it by July 1. In my opinion they are about equal in function and quality. Please help me decide. Just vote for one or the other. If you wish post a BRIEF explanation of why you picked the one you picked. Thank you in advance.

Cheers - M²

What did you get?

It's pretty simple. CD is smaller, more streamlined and won't allow for much more than an ACR. Other smaller PLB's will allow for a few extra items. HDV is bigger, not streamlined, but will allow for extra items.

I am a streamlined diver. So CD would be my choice. I don't need to pack the pantry. I figure 100 miles offshore the USCG would pick me up in about an hour or two after deployment. I pack a mylar hood to save my head from the sun, but otherwise, I think I can handle a couple hours at sea without the hotel mini fridge. :wink: YMMV.

If I had not gone all-out and gotten the aluminum McMurdo canister (apparently no longer being manufactured), my second choice would have been having Light Monkey custom-make me a canister, and my third choice would have been the Custom Divers canister. It's hard to tell simply from reading the specs and looking at the photos, but something about the HDVSEATEK design doesn't sit well with me.

Is there a source in the U.S. for the CD?
Thanks,
Michael

I know these aren't on your list but me and @Tug went with a custom Light Monkey canister. I don't know if it would fit your July 1st deadline but it's probably possible.

My justification I wanted a canister that could also fit a mirror, dye packs and some other small safety items. The downside is it's pricier ($250)..

I have the CD canister. Easy to use with the holster. I keep my Garmin inReach Mini inside and it works great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom