I need a new shoulder-clip light (or two)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob118

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking for a new dive light to clip to my shoulder d-ring, with some specific features:
1. has a strong attachment point at the base
2. one-handed operation (side button, not twist)
3. use 1 x 18650 battery
4. has a variable beam (spot to wide, but doent have to be too narrow or xtra wide)
5. about 5" -6" long, and narrow enough to lay on my shoulder strap

I have checked the usual sources and the well-known mfgs

if you know of such a beast boasting all these features, please let me know!

You'll have to put your own boltsnap on it, of course, but this is oft-recommended. No variable-beam, though.

You'll have to put your own boltsnap on it, of course, but this is oft-recommended. No variable-beam, though.
I like it! even though its not variable beam, it does have "70 degree projection and 8 degree center beam", which could work well. I planned to put a bolt snap on.

Looks like the same case as the OrcaTorch 550, except it comes with two batteries, a bolt-snap and soft Goodman handle

yes, the mako product page says "MAKO Spearguns has teamed up with the world’s leading dive light maker, OrcaTorch to offer this amazing dive light."

and its $70 instead of $110

FYI, the stock batteries included with various lights are seldom close to their rated amp-hours. (No idea about this particular light, though.) I suggest you capacity-test the battery and get a name-brand (panasonic, LG, etc.) if it's low. You can also just burn-test the light in a pitcher of water to see how long it lasts and whether that's within spec as an indicator.

Most chinezium lights come in that case, i have 4 of them from xstar.
I use xstar d-06, perfect beam for my needs so I don't mind that it's fixed, eats batteries when not in use for a long time, switch rusts so buy 4 of them.

I'm looking for a new dive light to clip to my shoulder d-ring, with some specific features:
1. has a strong attachment point at the base
2. one-handed operation (side button, not twist)
3. use 1 x 18650 battery
4. has a variable beam (spot to wide, but doent have to be too narrow or xtra wide)
5. about 5" -6" long, and narrow enough to lay on my shoulder strap

I have checked the usual sources and the well-known mfgs

if you know of such a beast boasting all these features, please let me know!
I just picked up a Sofirn SD05B for use as a backup. So far I'm really liking it.

-The newer B version has a very large and usable attachment point.
-It is not a button but a magnetic ring that is easily done one-handed. No potential access for water intrusion.
-Uses a single 21700 5000mah lithium and includes the sleeve adapter for a 18650.
-It checks most of your boxes though it does not have variable focus. It does have a nice spot and corona though. Maybe 10-70?
-4.68" long

It's $32.99 with an additional 10% off and free shipping. Not bad at all IMO.

what's the appeal of a light with a battery like that, as opposed to a light that has external battery contacts so it can be charged without opening?
There are some like that too, right?
I understand the corrosion potential, but if it's a quality design.... that shouldn't be an issue
Seems to me that every time you open it you increase the potential for o-ring wear or damage...or a little piece of something dirtying up the seal.

Back
Top Bottom