I need a new regulator set. HELP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jpraederjr

Registered
Reaction score
I need a new regulator set. I have read and read and read. The dive shops just want to sell sell sell.
I would like to get some opinions from DIVERS not salespeople.

In my dreams I will dive the tropics all the time. In realality I will most likely be diving the mid Atlantic coast. I also plan to get Nitrox certified someday soon.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Your selection, of course, is predicated on the budget which you've set for your purchase.

If you can afford it go the Atomic route. They're great!!!

A quality reg is a quality reg regardless of who makes it, so whether you buy a Scubapro, Aqualung, Apex or Atomic you will have purchased a decent reg.

A more important issue in the long run is getting parts and service support for the reg. In that regard, Scubapro and Aqualung offer a serious advantage as they have larger and more widespread dealer networks and you can get them serviced nearly everywhere.

If you are prone to moving from time to time or travel a lot, this is a big consideration. If you are not planning on moving anywhere ever, then it is still a big consideration as dealers and dive shops come and go and the odds are better that some dive shop near you will carry SP or Aqualung than it is that a shop will carry some other brand.

Both SP and Aqualung are also well known for providing parts and service support for decades, so the odds are you are not going to get left hanging 10 yrs down the road.

Personally, I like Scubaopro based on performance, service support and 20 years experience diving them.

The Kracken:
Your selection, of course, is predicated on the budget which you've set for your purchase.

If you can afford it go the Atomic route. They're great!!!

Atomic M1. Good to go Nitrox up to 50% out of the box and requires no cleaning when switching from air back to Nitrox. If you do get it cleaned it is good up to 80% Nitrox. It is good in the cold too, since it has a heat sink on the second stage and has an environmentally sealed first stage (Crysto-lube).

It breathes like a champ too.

I love mine.

The bad part is that it is pricey.

For tropical water, I recommend SCUBA PRO. Very easy to get parts and serviced. A set of MK25 G250 will give you very smooth and dry gas. What your LDS has?

jpraederjr:
I need a new regulator set. I have read and read and read. The dive shops just want to sell sell sell.
I would like to get some opinions from DIVERS not salespeople.

In my dreams I will dive the tropics all the time. In realality I will most likely be diving the mid Atlantic coast. I also plan to get Nitrox certified someday soon.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

I really like the easy breathing of my Atomics Z1. It has the same breathing characteristics and Nitrox capabilities as the higher end Atomic models, but costs less. The Z1 has an annual service interval like most regs. The higher models have a 2 year service interval. If you can afford a higher model, I'd go for it (you'll save money on servicing). Be sure to access your need for an environmentally sealed reg. and choose accordingly.

I also really like Mares. I don't hear as much talk about them, but mine have always been reliable, easy to breath, and simple to use (no adjustment knob available or needed - not that an adjustment knob is complicated...). Mares has a full line of regs, and the low end Axis gets great reviews. I have older Akros and Nikos models that I love, and would get a Mares Axis without hesitation if I wanted a good, but inexpensive recreational setup (LeisurePro sells the Mares MR12 Axis Pro 1st and 2nd Stage: $134; Mares R2 Axis 1st and 2nd Stage: $115). FYI: the Axis in some reviews has outperformed the higher model Mares Proton.

I agree that it's good having a nearby shop at which you can get your regulator(s) serviced. I know several shops in my area that service both Atomics and Mares, so that works for me. If I'm ever on vacation and experience a regulator problem that I can't fix and no warranty service is available, I would rent a regulator and have the problem fixed when I get home.

Although I purchased all my regs at a local dive shop, and am glad I got to try them out, both Mares and Atomics are available online. My LDS sells the Atomics for not much more than online and then I get the full warranty as well as good will and a place to have my reg serviced.

When doinging research, I check Scubaboard, my local dive shops and fellow divers. And, even though many people disagree with or don't like Scuba Diving Magazine, I check their reviews. While not 100% accurate or 100% comprehensive, I feel they do have some objective measurements that have matched my actual experience with various regulators. The reviews also point out dangerous regs. (usually off brands) or drastically underperforming regs (surprisingly, some name brands). I like to check out the specs on how well the regs deliver air at depths greater than I normally dive in case I find myself in an emergency situation. I don't want a reg. I can over breathe.

With some exceptions, most people to be happy with whichever reg. they've selected.

Good luck with your purchase!

Phil

I would have to agree with a couple of things already said. First you have to determine you budget and second in the long run the serviceability of the reg is a very important thing. As well as the warranty. Unless you specify a couple of options you are considering, all you are going to get is people telling you to buy the reg that they dive with without any direct experience in other regs. Like DA said almost any brand of reg is a decent on as long as it matches your dive environment (cold, deep, salt?). I would focus on a brand name that is common in the area that you will be diving and then ask for help selecting the appropriate model. As mention Scubapro is easy to get parts for in alot of areas. This fades into Apeks the further north you go, and Atomics is gaining popularity all around. Could you give some more info?

Just pic the one in RescueDiver009's avatar............have fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom