I need a new, compact digital camera...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lviscrst

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
...and I'd like to get a model for which an underwater housing is available.

I'm not a photographer...I just want a new compact digital (something along the lines of a CoolPix or whatever those cameras are called) to use to take pictures of my kids, pix of family vacations, etc. Just your basic, everyday, $200 or less digital camera...the kind of thing you get at Costco or BestBuy.

However, I figure I might as well get one for which an underwater housing is available so I can snap some pix when I'm diving. I know there are many models for which the housings are available, but I just don't know where to start.

I've looked through the threads on this site, but frankly I'm a bit overwhelmed, so I figured maybe if I started my own thread, one or two of you nice, helpful folks would give me the 411.

Again, I'm not an underwater photographer (or even much of a topside photographer) and I'm not talking about publication-quality pictures of fish, coral, etc. Mostly, it would just be cool to take pictures of my dive buddies, some posed and candid shots while diving, etc.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Welcome to the slippery slope, i wanted a camera so i could take snaps underwater, my husband bought me just that for Christmas that year and here I am some years later still learning, but making his life easy with the next toy to buy me for Christmas:)

Ok, go & sit down with a pencil & paper & list what YOU want from a camera, then list what you want from a housing. Any camera with what you want is a good starting point, if they don't have those requirements you can ignore them. Remember at all times what YOU want is central to what you buy, don't let a shop assistant sell you a camera because it has lots of bells & whistles, keep it simple & learn how to use it one step at a time.

when you have considered yourself look for the camera with the best optics (read some reviews on photographic websites) and with the best capacity for processing the data within the camera.

a few things to think about if you don't know the answer to these questions then they don't matter to you:-

where will you be using it? if on holiday will you have access to charging facilities if not then try for AA batteries.

Do you want to be able to attach wide angle or macro lenses, if so you want a 67mm screw or bayonet fitting on the housing

do you want to use a handle & strobe, if so you want to be able to attach them to the housing.

How do you want to view the pictures, do you already have SD cards for something else, if so making the camera compatable will be an advantage.

do you wnat to make videos, if not then a video facility is not a selling point to yu, just a complication.

do you want to use manual controls for apature & shutter speed? if so the camera should have them.

What format does the camera use, do you want a RAW setting?

what kind of manual comes with it, something steeped in jargon or something easy to use?

I have both Fuji and Canon camera's with housings.. for size and ease of use.. the Fuji wins hands down.. the new F200 or for less money the F60 make great and easy to carry underwater cameras...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom