I lost body weight. How to determine new weight needs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SRQ Bill

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So I recently lost about 25 lbs via Keto diet. I previously carried about 17 lbs of lead. Anyone have some calculation as to how much lead I'll need to carry now?

The only good answer is going to involve an in-water weight check. Total body mass is only part of the equation. Also, losing 25 lbs is going to mean something pretty different for someone who's 125 lbs vs 325.

Make sure some of your weight on your next dive is in smaller increments, and plan to do a weight check at the end of the dive to dial it in.

As someone whose weighting needs change frequently, there are a few background questions that will help guide your adjustment:

• How much did you weigh before and how much do you weigh now?
  • Was your weight loss from body fat, muscle mass, or a bit of both?
  • What exposure protection are you using?
  • Do you need different exposure protection (e.g., heavier insulation) due to a change in body comp?

So I recently lost about 25 lbs via Keto diet. I previously carried about 17 lbs of lead. Anyone have some calculation as to how much lead I'll need to carry now?

SRQ...

Forget the calculations...which are dependant on a lot of variables...your experience/cylinder/wing/back-plate/suit...etc...

Get in the shallows/or pool...preferably with support and perform your standard buoyancy check...if you have enough ballast assortment...you should be tuned-in in five minutes...

W...

Congrats on the weight loss! Don't you need a new wetsuit now? That might increase your buoyancy if your old wetsuit was, well, old.

@SRQ Bill congrats on the weight loss. Fat is roughly 90% the density of water at 0.9g/ml. 25lbs means it would have displaced ~27.8lbs of fresh water or ~28.5lbs of the salty stuff.
Assuming nothing else changed, it would be save to assume you could take 3lbs off for fresh and 3-4lbs off for salt. Ish.

Again, that's assuming nothing else changed and like @W W Meixner said, it's no replacement for a weight check, so you should do that in case something else changed.

An in water check is imperative.

Anyone have some calculation as to how much lead I'll need to carry now?
Jump in carrying your normal weight or a couple of kilos less. Dive. Make sure you breath down your tank properly. Check how that feels. Too heavy? Take a couple of kilos off your belt. Too light? Add a kilo or two. Repeat until things feel ok.

Back
Top Bottom