I just got a macro lens, now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ssra30

Reaction score
OK, so I broke down and bought a macro lens since I plan to go to Sipadan in a few weeks and everyone told me about all the nice little critters there.
Anyhow, so I got the Inon UCL-165 but it only came with Japanese documentation.
So my question is that, when I put the macro lens on, what does it do exactly? Does it decrease the minimum distance of teh depth of field ie it can focus less than the 8' the Oly C-4040 can do in macro mode or does it just blow up the picture more at the same distance or both?
I will try out the lens in Pattaya next week and hope to get some idea how to use it before my big trip :)

Thanks for any info.

This may not be any help at all but when I was looking for lenses for my c-4040, I was told that the macro lens won't only get me physically closer but the photos wouldn't necessarily look that much closer. At the time I could afford only 1 extra lense so I went with the WAL.

Dee, I hope that's not true. I also already have WAL which I am very happy with. Once in awhile, I hope the Oly 4040 macro mode would be a bit better ie bigger and closer.
Hmm, may be I should get another Oly 4000 and put it in my spare PT-010 housing:D for all those super macro mode shot. However, I definitely don't want 2 cameras.
Getting an Oly 5050 and new housing will cost as much if not more than my plan to go to Modado, Indonesia later on this year and I think that I would rather go on a trip than have a new set up and stay on dry land :(

Have you ever tried to find the Macro Sweet Spot on the 4040? I'm telling ya....it's better than any macro lens! Look at the top of the page under the Tips and Techniques thread. I've got one in there about finding the sweet spot with some photos.

It take a little practice to learn just hard hard to 'bump' the zoom lever and how many times. I use 3 myself. Anyway...check it out and try it yourself!

Yes, I saw your post and have been trying the last day or so. So far no luck yet :(
May be getting closer might not always be an answer though as some of those small critters would not let you come that close with the camera anyway. May be I will need one of those camera with 4-5x optic zoom so I can still stay a couple of feet back, stay in the strobe range and get those nice close-up!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom