I have one day to dive in Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GSODvr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Can someone help me out with information?

I am staying at the Best western Belize Biltmore in Belize City. I will be there from July 29th to Aug 5th, but I can only dive on Monday, August 4th.

Dive operators? Advice, or any other info that will help me with setting up a dive?

Thanks in advance!!

Either dive with one of the operators in Belize City (Sea Sports Belize or Belize Dive Connection) or fly up here to the northern cayes (Ambergris or Caulker) and dive from here. The flight back is low enough not to be a concern. The cost including air fares is about the same as the trip from Belize City, but you'll have time for two dives, a relaxed lunch, and a stroll around.

If you want to come up here, post as much and I'll PM you more details. You don't need to dive with us, as there are several operators who will give you what you want.

Peter ,
I'm going to take issue with you about the fly and dive.
This is a good place to discuss it , there are lots of professionals to hear and contribute , We might both learn something.
I tell people the little flight from the island to international is a big concern. That the greater pressure changes are in the lower atmosphere , just like scuba only upside down.
In scuba the first 33' are the greatest pressure changes and in the air its the first 3000.

Last edited:
I agree with that, Elbert, but DAN's recommendations apply to flights above 3000' in a pressurised aircraft. What concerns them is not the absolute pressure at 3000' but the sudden increase were the aircraft to lose pressurisation. Our planes aren't pressurised. I have often flown on these planes directly after diving and have never had a hint of a problem. I do make a point of asking the pilot to stay low and in my experience they do, though I did hear from a guest that he drew the short straw and the pilot not only refused to fly low but seemed to go out of his way to fly as high as possible. Even so he stayed below the altitude recommended by DAN.

But I agree, this issue could well do with an airing. There are lots of people here who know more about this than either of us - let's ask them. I'll start a thread with that title so those people don't miss it.

Elbert (and anyone else interested) - the thread is at http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/da...k/241772-flying-after-diving.html#post3672213

Thanks. I'll probably go with an operator out of the city(for convenience). Are those the only two shops in Belize City?

I believe so yes, though there could be some one/two man operations.

peter
I will be there via cruise from 8am to 5pm 7-24. I have been reading about the barrier reef being kinda bummer. Probably my only time in belize, so would like the best diving possible. Is it too late to get squeezed into a dive group? How about a flight? Is it torpical air?

Back
Top Bottom