I have a chance to dive Palau, but I am concerned about long term travel restrictions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you, gentlemen.

My point was why post the exact same link directly after my post ~1 hour later? That’s all.
Easy- I had a notification that there had been a reply to my post. I saw the reply and provided the info they asked for.

Never saw your post. But if it makes you feel better, congrats! you posted it first.

TC:
Easy- I had a notification that there had been a reply to my post. I saw the reply and provided the info they asked for.

Never saw your post. But if it makes you feel better, congrats! you posted it first.
Ok - understood. It’s not about feeling better as I couldn’t care less - but when I get a notification, I typically check to see if someone else had answered a question before I post. That’s all.

The flights that I am looking at are Toronto non-stop to Seoul on Air Canada and then Seoul to Palau on Asiana.
That's definitely a more bearable itinerary if its available. I'd prefer to go via any of the asian hubs, even if it was a few hours longer. United operates the US-HNL-GUM at domestic service levels. I have taken United MSP-SFO-HNL-GUM-MNL before and it was just grueling; I'd go via Tokyo or Seoul any day in pre-covid times. Personally, I'm still cautious of transit through a third country. I did see that flights via Taipei to Palau have resumed, so there might be hope for the Seoul to Palau route.

As things stand right now, the plan is to stay at the Palau Royal Resort hotel, and diving with Sam's Dive Tours. Personally, I am a big fan of LOBs and if I was the person organizing the trip, I likely would have gone that way, but I am also looking forward to seeing my friends again.
Dived with Sam's many yrs ago, a reputable operator so can't go wrong with them.
Is Mar 2022 too early to travel out from Toronto and how about the return leg? The unpredictability of this virus could cause havoc in any travelling plan. No easy solution.
Good luck and hope your trip go well.

Dived with Sam's many yrs ago, a reputable operator so can't go wrong with them.
Is Mar 2022 too early to travel out from Toronto and how about the return leg? The unpredictability of this virus could cause havoc in any travelling plan. No easy solution.
Good luck and hope your trip go well.
Thanks.

As things stand right now, for those who are fully vaccinated there are a few hoops to jump through, but flying internationally out of and into Toronto for Canadian citizens is not that bad. I recently flew to Vegas and to come home, I needed a negative PCR Test 72 hours before my flight, and to load a few pieces of info into an app called ArrivCAN (Flight info, Vax info passport or NEXUS info. etc)

By next March, who knows what the requirements will be?

I want to say thank you to all who offered suggestions and advice, but something that is not directly related to the trip has influenced my decision to the point where as things stand today, I am 90% certain that I will not be going on this trip.

One of my best friends (and dive buddies) was suddenly diagnosed with Stage 4 Cancer and is in the hospital. I have no way of predicting what their condition will be like by next March, but I do know that under current rules (at least in Ontario) if I leave Canada then I can not go to a hospital to visit a patient for at least 2 weeks after my return. They are in for the fight of their life, and I can not, in good conscience go on a 2 week vacation followed by a further 2 weeks when I can't visit at a time when they will need all the support those around them can give.

So thank you all for your advice, but it looks as though I probably will let this trip of a lifetime slip through my fingers. I have someplace more important to be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom