I have 2 new 100 cu Faber Steel cylinders, inspected and filled 3 months ago. How long can I wait before using the cylinders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Ed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
What is the air quality self-life for new 100 cu Faber Steel air cylinders? Both cylinders passed inspection in February, but I haven't had an opportunity to use them because of cold temperatures. My open water instructor asked me to bring both cylinders with me when I see him Saturday. He mentioned a concern about air quality, my question is how can a cylinder sit without use and still have good air quality?

I've got an AL80 in my garage that was last filled in around 1995, I think it's got about 1500 psi in it...when I get a regulator, I'll let you know.

Years. You’re overthinking everything.
You are right, but OP also mentions his instructor "mentioned a concern about air quality". OP has mentioned instructor issues in the past. Why would an instructor be concerned about air quality in tanks that were inspected 2 months ago.? @Mr. Ed - is there something unusual about how these tanks were filled? (by a friend rather than a dive shop, with a compressor used for paintball tanks, etc.?)

He mentioned a concern about air quality, my question is how can a cylinder sit without use and still have good air quality?
That's a good question for that instructor. The tank must be clean to pass inspection, so I'm not sure what would possibly contaminate the contents while merely sitting.

OTOH, if he is associated with the shop that filled those tanks, perhaps he knows of an issue that may have yielded contaminated air at the time of the fill.

I believe you should find warm temperatures and go diving right away!

Waiting too long to use new gear is not good for you. It doesn't matter if the gear is not actually new, as long as it is new for you, it is necessary to go out and dive it! Go now!

If it was filled with air, doesn't smell,
And came from a dive shop
I would dive it no problem even if it was a few years old.
If there was a mix in the tank I would get it analyzed to confirm, and then would have no problems with breathing it...

It's not like anything bad can get in under pressure,

Maybe gas can get out, and be low, but shouldn't separate after mixed.

He mentioned a concern about air quality, my question is how can a cylinder sit without use and still have good air quality?
A really long time. I had a layup for a while where I didn't dive. I believe when I finally did, that I had had the same air in those cylinders for well over a year. Probably more like two years. As long as the cylinder is still pressurized nothing can get in that wasn't there to begin with.
OTOH, if he is associated with the shop that filled those tanks, perhaps he knows of an issue that may have yielded contaminated air at the time of the fill.
That might be a possibility. It's only been a couple months, so it should still be good as long as it started out that way.

If there was, however, a contaminant introduced at time of fill, depending on the contaminant, reacting with the tank could be an issue if it sat for a while.

OP, it should be a pretty easy thing to check. Since it's OW, I would assume that the cylinders were filled with air. The process to analyze them should be as simple as opening the valve when hooked up to an analyzer and making sure that the result matches the expected.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom