I had Spontaneous Pneumothorax left and right lungs 15 years ago, can i scuba dive like 15 feet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marvinsss2005

Registered
Reaction score
I had Spontaneous Pneumothorax left and right lungs 15 years ago, can i do scuba dive like 15 feet?

Is it safe for me to scuba dive like only 15 feet? Please advice, thanks...

Since you are asking randoms over the net instead of a medical doctor who is familiar with you, your past medical history and current medications and state.

My opinion is no, but that snorkeling on the surface is fine and honestly you can see almost as much from there at many sites.

I had Spontaneous Pneumothorax left and right lungs 15 years ago, can i do scuba dive like 15 feet?

Is it safe for me to scuba dive like only 15 feet? Please advice, thanks...

Marvin,

The latest discussion in the literature is linked below. It's just an abstract but briefly, the authors recommend not diving. There are some exceptions, including a distant history with no radiologic evidence of lung pathology.

Can my patient dive after a first episode of primary spontaneous pneumothorax? A systematic review of the literature. - PubMed - NCBI

Best regards,
DDM

Without specific and expert medical advice to the contrary (or even with such advice) a twin pneumothorax occurring "only" 15 years ago is a massive contraindication. It's easy to say "like only 15 feet", but not so easy to stick to that religiously, unless that's the absolute maximum depth of any site you dived. It doesn't take that much expansion of even a small volume of air in a chest cavity that's not supposed to have any air in it to do significant damage.

Out of interest, were the left and right events actually simultaneous; and if so, was any cause established?

...briefly, the authors recommend not diving. There are some exceptions, including a distant history with no radiologic evidence of lung pathology.

Indeed. I had a left-side SP 40 years ago, but was medically cleared more than 30 years later after a barrage of tests. (Admittedly, it helps knowing a doctor who dives, and is familiar with BSAC guidance on the subject.)
Spontaneous Pneumothorax is an absolute contraindication for SCUBA diving.

See above. After 40 years and various x-rays, scans and a spiral CT I'm probably at less risk of a future event than you are; although we all know what they say about lies and statistics ;-)

Without specific and expert medical advice to the contrary (or even with such advice) a twin pneumothorax occurring "only" 15 years ago is a massive contraindication. It's easy to say "like only 15 feet", but not so easy to stick to that religiously, unless that's the absolute maximum depth of any site you dived. It doesn't take that much expansion of even a small volume of air in a chest cavity that's not supposed to have any air in it to do significant damage.

Out of interest, were the left and right events actually simultaneous; and if so, was any cause established?

Yes, it's absolute 15 feet but i don't have plans to go that deep.

First was my left lung was diagnosed and then after two weeks staying in the hospital my right lung collapse.

The cause is unknown but my surgeon told me it's because i'm skinny.

Since you are asking randoms over the net instead of a medical doctor who is familiar with you, your past medical history and current medications and state.

My opinion is no, but that snorkeling on the surface is fine and honestly you can see almost as much from there at many sites.

Check with DAN and a physician trained and knowledgeable in diving medicine.

Marvin,

The latest discussion in the literature is linked below. It's just an abstract but briefly, the authors recommend not diving. There are some exceptions, including a distant history with no radiologic evidence of lung pathology.

Can my patient dive after a first episode of primary spontaneous pneumothorax? A systematic review of the literature. - PubMed - NCBI

Best regards,
DDM

Spontaneous Pneumothorax is an absolute contraindication for SCUBA diving.

I visited my Internal Medicine Pulmonologist doctor and told me i should be fine but i'm still scared and want to dive.

I visited my Internal Medicine Pulmonologist doctor and told me i should be fine but i'm still scared and want to dive.

Marvin, I'd recommend that you see a physician who specializes in diving medicine. Where are you located?

Best regards,
DDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom