I got a new job

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
You know.... sometimes you have to just throw yourself back into the deep end.

I've worked since the first day of my professional career in projects. Early on that was in the role of programmer or analyst. I was trained at the university to be technical. The university where I studied in the early-mid 80's trained people to take jobs at companies like Microsoft and Intel. I learned pretty much everything there was to know (at the time) about programming, hardware and networking. As one of my term assignments in 1987 (before they were widely available on the market), I designed from scratch, built (wire by wire, chip by chip) and tested, a home-made dive computer.

At this particular university it was normal to "go where no one has gone before". Our AI instructor, Our algorithms instructor, even our mathematics instructors and our pure CS instructors were all world leaders at that point in time. In short I went to one of the top universities for computer science on the planet (at the time). I even programmed, for an assignment, a fully functioning chess computer in 48 hours. In our last year our hardware course consisted of the following: The professor walked into the class on day-1 and wrote down a number of op-codes on the wall.... he said, "you have 13 weeks to build a computer, chip by chip to run these op codes. Every Monday I will be here for as long as you need to answer any questions.

13 weeks later we (the team) had a fully functioning computer that would run those op codes. He came in on the last day of class and said, "congratulations. You have built, in 13 weeks, a PDP-11. something that took the digital computer company, with all their resources and with all their brain power, 5 *whole* years."

As an aside, I have a double degree because I was primarily a computer science student but I also studied English Literature. My "English" professor frequently invited met to coffee and hammered on me for several years that I should stop with that nonsense and get out of my education what I really wanted. (I revered him for his *outstanding* ability for clear, concise, communication)

His influence was significant because I took a whole semester off (13 weeks) and went to the library. I read, in those 13 weeks, exactly 100 books. I didn't sleep much but I was on a mission and I wanted to raise my consciousness to the next level... I especially enjoyed books about metaphysics, Buddhism (read the original scriptures), Islam (also reading the original scriptures) and christianity, reading not only the bible but everything written about it back 1000's of years.

I also read, in those 13 weeks several books about Edgar Cayse and remain, to this day, open the possibility that there is more between heaven and earth than we can perceive.

Where was I going with this.... oh yeah... that I'm euphoric about my new job. I should write about that too but most SB people surly won't care.

R..

Reactions: Jax
I dont know if reading is what I would need on a 13 week vacation.

I know time is finite, and your would probably be a great passing of days. But for me. If I were given 13 weeks of freedom. I would be exploring this planet or at least my immediate area with much rest and relaxation as possible. Snowshoeing in the fresh snow with my dog, is much more of a draw for me than reading religious texts.

But I can relate to the new job, I start a new job in under 2 weeks. I am also moving to 3000 miles too. Good luck with your new start

Hey I'm down with you. I quit my career of 10+ years because I was miserable. In training now for a new field. It's scary but it can be done. What are you moving to?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Congratulations, Rob. I would bet on your success.

I like the idea of the 13-week reading vacation. Reading in clumps is more productive and gratifying, in my opinion, as you let one book goad your curiosity for the next one.

Too funny!

I have a new job too. It's my old job, with a new boss . . . and since I never see my boss anyway, it doesn't much matter :)

Reading your post, I thought maybe you were going into building computers . . .

Congrats Rob -- now take a vacation and come back to Puget Sound for a few days of diving.

I should write a bit about the new job since my previous post was a completely disjointed brain dump and I didn't have time to finish what I started.

I'll get back to this later, but just suffice it to say that it's a pretty big change

R..

Now you have me curious??? I have a similar background. Pure programming no hardware and Law instead of English lit. About the time you were doing your degree I was working on a cutting edge research project in legal technology.

Congrats on the new job. Whatever it is. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom