I Got a Hall Pass!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GameChanger

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Most of my recent dive trips have been family-type vacations where I try to schedule a 2-tank dive everyday except for arrival and departure dates. My wife is a non-diver and my son is a brand new diver. Most of these vacations have been at high-end resorts in Cozumel, Grand Cayman, VI & Hawaii. This is so that my non-diver wife can enjoy the stuff she likes to do. (spas, dining, shopping, etc).

I recently retired from my skull-crushing mind-numb robot soulless corporate job and I have been given a "hall pass" by my loving wife to go diving solo without her and my son. (and it wasn't the "fine, go!" type of hall pass...)

I have decided to go to Coz for a week to 10 days (+/-) and I have some simple expectations.
  1. I would like a hotel that is clean & quite, and has a refrigerator and maybe a microwave.
  2. A valet dive Op that will pickup and dropoff at the hotel dock. I have used 3P's for my past dives in Coz and while I love them I do not think they can accommodate me for the hotel dock dropoff and pickup unless the hotel dock is south of the marina.
  3. I am not interested in AI resorts. I do not need a beach. I hate swimming pools.
  4. I have my own gear (except tank and weights of course) so that is not a consideration.
  5. I would prefer to be within walking distance of decent restaurants and grocery shopping.
Any recommendation/suggestions are appreciated! I have no set dates so I am flexible.
I am NOT looking for extreme budget either. I just don't need the high-end AI or resort stuff since I am going solo.

In the past I stay at Sweets Bahia or Casa Mexicana and dive with tres pelicanos. They give me a ride from their shop which is only a couple blocks from the hotel. they have package deals that are pretty good (3Ps). Free Breakfast at Casa Mexicana if you stay at either of these hotels. Close to a lot of downtown restaurants.

This year, however, I am staying at an air BnB for $21 nite. also walking distance to 3P's and great restaurants.

Based on all that, look into staying at Blue Angel and having an outside dive operator pick you up. There is also an onsite dive op but I haven't used them and likely won't. It's a bit of a hike to town but we've walked it and we are probably older than you. There are groceries and restaurants even closer. Probably $100-120/nt.

hotel cozumel. you can choose the non AI option. that would still include brkfst. dive shop on site. pier on site so you can get picked up by anther shop if you choose. drying racks and rinse tanks on site. close to town. clean. lots of free drinking water around the resort. not sure if any rooms have little fridges. easy enough to pick up a cheap cooler and fill with the free ice.

I recently retired from my skull-crushing mind-numb robot soulless corporate job

haha i love this

For summer stays, when access to a swimming pool is important to me (I get very hot and sweaty in that July humidity!), I like either Casa Del Mar (which does not include a fridge in the room and is a long hike from downtown, but more convenient for dive pickups - most ops will pick up at the pier right across the street), or Hotel Cozumel (closer to downtown, not a bad walk to restaurants, huge pool and comfortable rooms, plus dive pickups at the pier). In cooler months, when having a pool is less important to me, there are several downtown hotels that would fit the bill. Casa Mexicana is probably the nicest option, great rooms, good breakfast buffet, easy 1 block walk to the Aqua Safari pier used by a few dive ops, including Aldora. Then there is Suites Bahia and Suites Colonial, Hotel Plaza Cozumel (right across from the Ferry Pier), and several cheaper ones back in town, like Hotel La Casona Real, about 3 blocks back from the Plaza (smaller rooms, but clean and comfortable, and quieter than those on the waterfront, but a longer walk to the downtown dive boat pier).

Casa Mexicana and Aldora fits your requirements. I believe Blue XTSea pick up at the down town dock as well. We dive ALDora for the steel 120's. Have fun.

Jay

Villa Aldora has always looked like a great choice to me (same situation but not retired) for a solo Coz trip.
*Agreed on the last minute liveaboard trip suggestion, though! I am very experienced in those.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom