I "Discovered" the best dive shop in the N.O. Area today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulwall

Contributor
Reaction score
I dropped my tanks off for fills at Caribbean today, per my usual post-dive procedures, and looked around trying to take advantage of the Tax-free weekend here in La.

Nothing amongst the Scubapro gear really excited me, and I've been wanting to check out another dive shop on my side of the river.

So, I took a trip out to Temento's in Westwego. Zeagle/Scubamax dealer. Considering they are mainly a boat supply/hardware dealer, I was not optimistic about what I would find. I was stunned at their selection, prices, and friendliness.

Temento's main customer base is composed of Spearo's. They've been selling dive gear since 1959, and have been a long-time Zeagle Rep. They also sell Riffe guns, Catalina and Luxfer tanks.

The owner greeted me by the regulators like an old friend. After speaking with me for 5 minutes about gear and diving, he had me appraised as someone certified for a long time. He took me on a tour of the filling station (immaculate), service area (complete) and Zeagle area. They stock tanks (Al 80's at $159) cameras, Lots of BC's and regulators. I picked up a Zeagle Envoy for $229 (with NO state sales tax). I also bought a DIN conversion for it, and walked out VERY happy.

On the downside, he doesn't do Nitrox fills at all. He was a very friendly, knowledgeable, and efficient store. I will definitely be going back. I may even use his instructor for the upcoming nephews' classes.

I'm really glad I took the trip over there.

SuPrBuGmAn:
Nifty, is that right off of the Expressway?

Not really, it's back in Salaville, near LA18/river. Of course, at that point, the expressway and the river are only about 10 blocks apart.

Hmmm, never realized that there was anything scuba related over there. NeatO

It is a honey hole of dive gear in a hardware store. And they not only beat, they crush everyone's prices. Ronnie is a great man and will make sure you leave happy.

Temento's is THE place to buy diving equipment in New Orleans. You won't get suckered there. Not many spearos use nitrox on the rigs because they don't want to be PO2 depth limited.

captain:
Temento's is THE place to buy diving equipment in New Orleans. You won't get suckered there. Not many spearos use nitrox on the rigs because they don't want to be PO2 depth limited.

I'm very happy to have found them. I do have some air-only tanks, so that's NBD to me. The traffic is much lighter going out there, rather than to Causeway, and the parking is WAAAAAAY better than at Caribbean.

And, he has SALES! Can you believe it?

Well, you will need to let us know when he has a sale. I am new to this and getting some good prices on some good gear fairly locally would be great! You didn't happen to catch prices on personal gear and wet suits????

nferra2:
Well, you will need to let us know when he has a sale. I am new to this and getting some good prices on some good gear fairly locally would be great! You didn't happen to catch prices on personal gear and wet suits????

No, sorry, I didn't. But as Robbie pointed out, he beats the pants off of other dive shops. Go in and browse. They won't bite, or pressure sell you. Almost all of the items are priced (meaning, you don't have to ask). And there are sale tags hanging off of some of the things now (well, last Saturday).

Temento's Inc. 435 Sala Ave Westwego, LA 70094 Phone (504) 347-5402

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom