I Did My Manatee Trip Wrong - Tell Me How To Do It Right

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

About 8 years ago my wife and I went to Crystal River for the snorkeling. We went with two different companies. The first one was the same company you used, Crystal River Watersports. The water had horrible visibility, but it was still fun. The next day however we went with Birds Underwater. Completely different experience. They leave a lot earlier than the other boats. I hadn't been a fan of that when booking, which is why I tried the other company, but now I understand why leaving early is worth it. They went to the 3 sisters spring, got there before anyone else, and the visibility was great. Still backscatter, and my skills back then were far from what they are now (which is still very limited), but the difference between days is very clear.

Day 1 with Crystal River Watersports:
IMG_6884.jpg

Day 2 with Birds Underwater at 3 Sisters Spring:
IMG_6944.jpg

Now this makes me really want to go back!

ok - we are thinking of taking a trip to the Crystal River area this January or February - came here to ask who we should dive with and if anyone has any suggestions of where to stay. I see someone rented a boat - have others done that? I know the area is pretty well regulated are you limited in where you can go to dive if you rent a boat?

There were many manatees there, but you couldn't see them unless they came right up on you underwater.

Did the snorkel with American Pro in 2009. Conditions were the same as for you - wouldn't have been able to tell anyone that I really saw anything. About 30-40 minutes before the end of the trip, we went into an inlet that had a roped off area. Swam over toward the shore where the water was shallower, much clearer - like your top picture as there was plenty of sunlight, and lots of manatees were swimming in and out of their area. Made the trip worth it.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom