I broke a zipper...can I fix it myself?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Katch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Fortunately, it's not the main waterproof zipper. It is the outer zipper on my TLS350. While removing my heavily weighted BCD last Sunday, the zipper tab got caught up and broke off a portion of the zipper slider. The slider did not come off, nor did it damage any of the teeth. I can open and close the zipper by pushing (or having someone help push) the slider.

Is that something that I can fix, or would that be something that the shop should tackle? Do those sliders come in two pieces that just snap together? I can take/post pictures if that helps - not sure if my description was very clear.

Thanks,
Steve

In general, any zipper slider can be replaced without having to remove and sew a new zipper since the teeth are good. The next question is where to get the correct size slider from. Does it say YKK?

did you break the pull or the loop that holds pull?

did you break the pull or the loop that holds pull?

The pull came off with pieces of the slider (it does say YKK). It caught on my BCD when I was removing it. The slider still operates; however, the pull cannot be reattached. Here's a pic:

Attachments

• IMAG0145.jpg
    IMAG0145.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 516
[video=youtube;_4VCZp20FfM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4VCZp20FfM[/video]

Looks like a #10 from the photo. You'll need the new slide an two top zipper stops. Use diagonal side cutters to remove the old stops install the new slide and crimp the new stops on with pliers. If the end is under the material and sewn, you'll have two options take it to a suit repair shop or remove the top couple of teeth and then use the top stops. Best of luck?

Sent from an undisclosed location using Tapatalk.

Looks like a #10 from the photo. You'll need the new slide an two top zipper stops. Use diagonal side cutters to remove the old stops install the new slide and crimp the new stops on with pliers. If the end is under the material and sewn, you'll have two options take it to a suit repair shop or remove the top couple of teeth and then use the top stops. Best of luck?

Sounds a little too complicated. Looks like I'll have to send it off to DUI. Maybe warranty will cover it - it has only seen 4 dives.

:cheers:
Steve

Sounds a little too complicated. Looks like I'll have to send it off to DUI. Maybe warranty will cover it - it has only seen 4 dives.

:cheers:
Steve

I wouldn't send that to DUI for repair. It's only the outer zipper, any taylor could fix that no problem.

Even if it was under warranty the shipping alone would cost more than a local taylor would charge you. Believe me I know, I've sent suits back to DUI for repairs.

Send me an PM with your email and I'll send you the parts. We're only looking at 35¢ plus a stamp.

This happens to me also.
What I did was to sand the slider, cut in a "T" form a piece of anodized steel plate of 0,6 mm thick, sanded, bent in the required form, and fixing it with cyanoacrylate glue (Loctite). Then painted the whole thing.
Since I did this 2 years ago it didn't came off.

Attachments

• IMG_7510.jpg
    IMG_7510.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 271
  • zipper slider repair.jpg
    zipper slider repair.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 279
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom