I am speaking at a GUE event. Do I need to get rid of the shoulder buckle on my tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stoo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Kinda new here, but I figure I could count on you folks for help. I guess I am a Dork Diver, although my gear is black.

I don't have many c-cards, but I dive a lot, for a Canadian especially.

So my question... I have been asked to do a presentation at a GUE Invasion that's happening this summer in Tobermory. I warned the organizer that I am kinda the GUE Anti-Christ. I dive alone. A lot. Shoulder buckle (so I can easily remove my kit in the water before hauling myself into my RHIB. (And I have actually CUT the shoulder strap on two "Hogarthian" rigs since the people wearing them were about to drown in rough seas beside my boat...) I don't have lime green split fins but thinking about getting some! ;-)

Anyway, she still wants me... Do I need to get new webbing and go all "continuous"???

@Stoo, I recommend that you let your freak flag fly. Folks may ask why you have demonized your rig and now you have the opportunity to convert them.

Viva la Dork Revolution!

I'm glad to hear that. My buckles are ancient old things made by... wait for it... DACOR! They weigh about 2 pounds each and are indestructible. I'd hate to have to remove them... :)

I proudly sport my yellow DACOR weight belt when I travel. That thing must be close to 40 years old! I get many an admiring stare, I can tell ya.

I proudly sport my yellow DACOR weight belt when I travel. That thing must be close to 40 years old! I get many an admiring stare, I can tell ya.

Nice...!

Just an opinion from someone with absolutely no gue, uhhm glue, uhhm cue, uhhm clue (one of those... at least one of those, probably more):

Tricky situation.
As far as the speaking goes:
If you do some testing and produce quantifiable results that demonstrate that there is no efficiency difference between speaking with shoulder buckle and speaking w/o and if you furthermore can demonstrate that the additional potential failure point introduced by the shoulder buckle (you don't have one on each side - or? --- oh my...) does, even in the event of a failure, not affect your speach, then, and after writing and self publishing a book about your research, then you may just get away with speaking in a harness with shoulder buckle. ... in a room... far from water.... maybe...

Diving that way?
Oh my.... Glad you didn't ask that...

Just an opinion from someone with absolutely no gue, uhhm glue, uhhm cue, uhhm clue (one of those... at least one of those, probably more):

Tricky situation.
As far as the speaking goes:
If you do some testing and produce quantifiable results that demonstrate that there is no efficiency difference between speaking with shoulder buckle and speaking w/o and if you furthermore can demonstrate that the additional potential failure point introduced by the shoulder buckle (you don't have one on each side - or? --- oh my...) does, even in the event of a failure, not affect your speach, then, and after writing and self publishing a book about your research, then you may just get away with speaking in a harness with shoulder buckle. ... in a room... far from water.... maybe...

Diving that way?
Oh my.... Glad you didn't ask that...

I was thinking more along the lines of a couple of stiff rums before I open my mouth.

Give your speech barefoot with little dive flags painted on your toenails. They won't notice your shoulder buckle.:bounce::bounce::bounce:

@Stoo forget about the lime green and get PINK instead. Really let your freak flag fly. :D

You really need to give us a report after your talk happens.

Back
Top Bottom