I am a fool for spending money on tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can it be made into doubles? Also can I change the color? And do fire extinguishers come in 130cuft?

Over engineered... who needs a regulator :D

Gas tank SCUBA.jpg

the main problem with the pretty much all DIY scuba systems (apart from being very unreliable designs) is that the tank pressure is always very low and thus the capacity is pretty minimal compared to any normal factory made scuba system.

the propane tanks for example are capable of somewhat handling about 20bar I believe( at least I remember seeing them pressure tested with 20bar though normal operating pressure is somewhere around 2 or 3 bar if I remember correctly) and a 11kg tank (the most used capacity here for household use, grilling etc) would have internal volume of something around 26 litres. Which if pumped to the absolute max of 20bar (if possible and safe, I don't know) would calculate to about 520 litres of air.

If using a standard garage compressor which is able to generate about 10bar it would end up having 260 litres of air in the 11kg propane tank which is pretty disappointing amount.
Especially considering that the propane tank would be heavily buoyant underwater.

For comparison, my 3 litre pony bottle would house around 696 litres or air if filled to the maximum normal operating pressure of 232 bars and it is just slightly negative so it would make much more sense to use it for no mount skin diving purposes I think :)
(though a 40cf would maybe be better for that if some capacity is needed )

Here is tonights cringe. This is the craziest thing I've seen in a while...

I would love to see that guy to pump his diy scuba system to 2000psi like he mentioned in the video!
Hope he will do another video of that blast soon, it should be entertaining or at least educating even if someone gets hurt :popcorn:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom