Hyperthyroidism and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

malmon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1 1/2 years ago I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. Because of my condition, I tire easily that I could not even run for 5 mins straight. I also get cramps often. My condition now is much better, although I am still under medication (Methimazole). I have not had cramps in the past 6 mos and have slowly build up my cardio. I have not been diving in the past 7 years but I am thinking of diving again. Nothing heavy,just leisure dive maybe with a little photography.

My question is, is there any relation between diving and hyperthyroidism? I know I should ask a dive doctor, but I am in Indonesia right now and I could not find one.

Thank you.

DAN would seem to suggest that diving is possible for well controlled hyperthyroidism: Thyroid Conditions
It sounds like demanding diving (strenuous or involving decompression) would be more of an issue than more relaxed forms of recreational-level diving like you mentioned, but I'm not a medical type.

I too have hyperthyroidism and am also on Methimazole. I haven't seen a dive dr but i have seen my endocrinologist and my normal dr and they both said that as long as methimazole continues to keep the thyroid in check then diving is ok. Obviously you should go by what your endo says but i hope this helped a little.

Thanks for the info guys. I actually asked my endocrinologists and she said its fine. But I know she's not a diver so I felt I needed to confirm it. I remember when I had my ears checked by EENT for infection before and when I told him that my ears get wet all the time because I dive, he advised me to put on earplugs next time I dive to prevent my ears from getting wet.

That's a good link you provided bleeb. Thanks

My question is, is there any relation between diving and hyperthyroidism?

Hi malmon,

To the best of my knowledge, there is nothing about SCUBA per se that would meaningfully alter thyroid hormone (thyroxin) levels.

This, of course, does not necessarily imply the reverse, i.e., that abnormal thyroid hormone levels can not pose potential risks to safe SCUBA.

Your endocrinologist is the person to make the call on your return to diving. Either you or she can contact DAN with additional questions, although they'll very likely essentially repeat the info in the link provided by bleeb. Contact --> DAN Scuba Diving Medical Services

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

DocVikingo,

The you very much for your educational reply. I guess I will contact DAN and discuss it with my endocrinologist again.

Malmon

Back
Top Bottom