Hyperstretch vs. O'Neill 7000X J-type

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hollywood

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm about to upgrade my old 1/4 iinch farmer john, and I've been flirting with the Henderson Hyperstretch line and the O'Neill J-type. Most of my diving with this suit will be on California's north coast.

I've heard lots of good things about the Hendersons, but virtually nothing about the O'Neill J-type. Can anyone share any experiences or offer any insights? I've heard that the Henderson's may stretch too much and be cold; the J-type looks like it might be tricky to get on and off. Thanks

Hollywood:
Hello all,

I'm about to upgrade my old 1/4 iinch farmer john, and I've been flirting with the Henderson Hyperstretch line and the O'Neill J-type. Most of my diving with this suit will be on California's north coast.

I've heard lots of good things about the Hendersons, but virtually nothing about the O'Neill J-type. Can anyone share any experiences or offer any insights? I've heard that the Henderson's may stretch too much and be cold; the J-type looks like it might be tricky to get on and off. Thanks

I tried on the J-Type yesterday and it fit me great but jesus it was a pain to get on and off. I'm looking into the Henderson Semi-Dry myself or possibly the Pinnacle Polar Semi-Dry.

I use a Titanium Hyperstrech 5mil. The Hendersons are a breeze to get on/off, feel like your wearing nothing, and work really well. They are also really helpfull if you are wearing them under another suit, as the outside suit will slide on/off the henderson.

Only problems with the hendersons is that the super-stretch material is softer and more flexible than standard neoprene, so it will rip easier (not when puting it on, but if you accidently bump into a sharp rock), and takes a little longer to dry.

Overall a great suit but it was a little pricey.

Also might wanto to check out bare. I have one of their 3/2's but they go all the way up to 7/6. (The second number is only the arms, not the legs). They are almost semi-dry as they have tight wrist and ankle seals. A pain to get on and off, but if you are diving cold they will not let you down.

Scubatoys.com has them all.

I can give you my take on experience with both of these suits. The hyperstrech is a breeze to put on but does get colder at depth, bigger problem with this suit is its abrasion resistance, It doesn't hold up well over time with abuse or compression. The J-type by Oneil, very warm and bulletproof. Another you may want to think about is the gold core, it drys quicker than both, Is warm and easy to don/doff and is good overall durability wise. Whatever you do go with a attached hood as these are far warmer than hoodless versions. A core warmer is always a good idea too. Sid

staticcornflake:
Also might wanto to check out bare. I have one of their 3/2's but they go all the way up to 7/6. (The second number is only the arms, not the legs). They are almost semi-dry as they have tight wrist and ankle seals. A pain to get on and off, but if you are diving cold they will not let you down.

Scubatoys.com has them all.

I was going to ask about Bare wetsuits. I am usually difficult to size, and the Bare suits seem to have the best selection of different sizes. Besides, Scubatoys has them at a good price and I have only heard good things them. I was looking at the 7/6.

I have a Henderson Hyperstretch 3 mil full length, and, although a little pricey, I absolutely love it. It's comfortable and really easy to get on and off (especially when compared to my Akona 7 mil).

mtsidford:
I can give you my take on experience with both of these suits. The hyperstrech is a breeze to put on but does get colder at depth, bigger problem with this suit is its abrasion resistance, It doesn't hold up well over time with abuse or compression. The J-type by Oneil, very warm and bulletproof. Another you may want to think about is the gold core, it drys quicker than both, Is warm and easy to don/doff and is good overall durability wise. Whatever you do go with a attached hood as these are far warmer than hoodless versions. A core warmer is always a good idea too. Sid

How is the mobility or ease of movement in the gold core Henderson vs the hyperstrech?

I dove a 5mm Henderson Hyperstretch all winter, like the suit. Used as cold as 57 degrees @ 100 FSW.

One guy I dive with bought a Henderson 7/5 semi-dry, and I'm so impressed with it I plan to buy one in novemeber for the coming winter diving. They're a 7mm Gold Core suit, with 5mm Hyperstretch panels in strategic locations. He raves about both how warm it kept him, plus how easy it was to move in it.

I know O'Neil suits are great quality, but have no experience with the J suit. Looks like it'd be a pain in the *** to get it on, but that's a guess.

I own a J-type Suit & love it, you put is on like a regular Farmer John Bottom. Then slip your arms through the holes like a T-Shirt & zip. Lastly I like to put the the hood on & pull it back. It has the Firewall Tech, in the torso which is pretty nice. Extra Stretch materials at the shoulders for good movement. It also has semi dry features.

Back
Top Bottom