Hyperfocal Distance AND Port Optics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blacknet

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

Just to let everyone know I just put 2 posts into the tips/techniques section dealing with hyperfocal distance and port optics.

In the hyperfocal distance I described what it is and how to use it.

In the port optics I described the difference between flat ports and dome ports. Also goes into some detail about dome ports.

Ed

Blacknet, a few comments on your explanation of virtual images created by a dome port. Most manufactures state the size of their dome ports as the diameter of the port. In your explanation you use a 4” dome as an example. If this is a 4” diameter dome, than your math is wrong. You state that the virtual imager is 3 x the radius of the dome. Then you state that a 4” dome would have a virtual image at 12”. The radius of a 4” dome is not 4”, it’s 2”, and so 3 x 2” would put the virtual image at 6” not 12”. Also this would be 6” from the front of the port, not the film plane. I have found there are two different “accepted approximations” of the distance of the virtual image. There is an exact formula, but it’s a bit complicated, it takes into account the inside radius of the dome, the outside radius of the dome (i.e. thickness of dome), the index of refraction of water, the index of refraction of the dome material (glass or acrylic), and index of refraction of air. This formula will give the exact distance, from the outside radius of the dome, of the virtual image. A rule-of-thumb for locating the infinity virtual image is: "three radii minus four thickness (of the dome material) from the front of the dome". Another accepted approximation is; 2 x the diameter of the dome, measured from the film plane. This for me, is a little easier to use, since the minimum focus distance of land based lenses is not measured from the front of the lens, but from the film plane. So in my case, I use an 8” (dai.) dome port. Using the 2x approximation would give me a virtual image at 16” from the film plane. If I use your calculations it would be 3 x 4” or 12” from the front of the port. 12” from the front of the port, or 16” from the film plane.

Hello,

Perhaps I should have proofed it once more time :) What I should have stated is a dome port of 4" radius not a 4" dome port, there's a difference :)

AF" = 3R - 4t

where R=(r1 + r2)/2 and the dome thickness t = r1 - r2
where R is the radius and t is the thickness.

The rule-of-thumb for locating the infinity virtual image is: " three radii minus four thicknesses from the front of the dome"

This image is from the front of the port not the film plane.
There is also some confusion over the shape of the virtual image so i'll re-proof my submission.

Thanks for pointing this out to me!

Ed

Hello,

OK I made some changes and I think what I have will work. Let me know if there's anything else I need to change or if I left something out. I was trying not to get to technical and loose people. This is why I didn't get into the circle of confusion :)

Ed

Back
Top Bottom