Hyper Aqualand battery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaCruiser

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Anyone know about replacing battery for Citizen Hyper Aqualand watch. Do you have to send it away or can you take it to a local jewelry store.

Thanks

jlyle:
Your jeweler can do it for you.

While this may be true, the jewler can't (and you can't) be sure it is water tight until you dive.

I sent mine back to Citizen it was little more costly, but it included being pressure tested.

Here is the site.
http://citizenwatch.com/us/frame_noflash.html

Every jewelry store I checked with wouldn't even touch it since it is waterproof, this includes places that actually sell the watch (for instance Divers Direct in Florida). There is a place in Atlanta that will do it while you wait, and pressure check it. Below is the link to their web-site.

http://www.hurleyrobertsservice.com

The link does not appear to be working but I'm sure the number is available through the phone book. If I can get their number from a friend of mine I'll post it.

We paid the $50 and sent the watch back to Citizen the first time the battery needed replacing. It took four weeks.

The second time, I realized that Citizen is here in LA and took it to them and they did the replacement on the spot.

Since then, my jeweler has done all of our dive watches once a year with no problems.

Jewelers do water "proof" watch battery changes all the time, but if you are looking for a guarantee that the watch won't flood after the battery change, then no jeweler is going to do it.

But, IMHO you can't beat the concenience and cost for a local battery change and the chance of a problem is extremely small.

jlyle:
We paid the $50 and sent the watch back to Citizen the first time the battery needed replacing. It took four weeks.

The second time, I realized that Citizen is here in LA and took it to them and they did the replacement on the spot.

Since then, my jeweler has done all of our dive watches once a year with no problems.

Jewelers do water "proof" watch battery changes all the time, but if you are looking for a guarantee that the watch won't flood after the battery change, then no jeweler is going to do it.

But, IMHO you can't beat the concenience and cost for a local battery change and the chance of a problem is extremely small.

The cost is very big if it leaks, the instructions tell you to send it back to a authorized facility

Citizen dive watch-tn.jpg After replacing the battery on my Citizen Hyper Aqualand I was reading the comments here and thought I’d add a few of my insights.

First, in my humble opinion the safest thing you can do is pay retail, send it to Citizen and have them do the battery exchange and pressure test the watch. It is a little less expensive if you go to a jewelry store, but 90% of them are not equipped to pressure test and exchange the O rings inside so you’ll save a few dollars but have more risk of the watch flooding.

It’s unrealistic to think that any generic jewelry store wouldn’t having a case removal tool and being able to exchange the battery, but they simply might not want to take the risk.

I have two Citizen Hyper Aqualands, both over 10 years old so if they fail I’m not losing much. The first step I took was to order a generic back case removal tool on Ebay for about ten dollars.

After the back is off I made careful note of the position of the plastic insulator sitting on top the battery clip before removing it and then the battery clip itself. I used a needle to pry the clip free, and then installed the new CR 2025 battery. After carefully removing the back case O ring I cleaned the groves on the back with a Q tip and alcohol. Next I laid the O ring on a clean surface and carefully inspected it deformities, or any imperfections. After assuring myself that it was reusable I cleaned it with Trident silicone lube before returning it to the case back.

Although I felt ok reusing my original O ring for the first battery exchange you can order new O rings from http://www.esslinger.com. You’ll need the case number on the back before you can place an order. The number on my Hyper Aqualand Promaster was D-208. The cost for the O ring was $13 including shipping.

After reassembling the watch, it will appear to be “dead”. To re-start the watch you’ll need to do a hard reset ( all dive info will be lost ) by holding down all four buttons at once. Then just follow the instruction manual for resetting the time. There are several YouTube videos on how to remove the back case.

This isn’t for the faint of heart, OR if you’ll be depressed for weeks if you flood your watch.

Back
Top Bottom