hydrooptix mask question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

svs

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi everybody
I just bought hydrooptix mask and tried it in a pool (with snorkel). I was generally satisfied. I had one problem. I had difficulties clearing last drops of water which run down in a center of the lenses when I look straight down. I read all hydrooptix discussions on this forum and some other reviews. Somebody reported the same problem but w/o solution. I guess there is one since there are a number of satisfied users of this mask. Again I did it in a pool with snorkel so I was unable to do exactly the same clearing procedure as I do with regulator. Even when I take mask off shake water out and turn it lenses down I see formation of a small pool of water which is collected from nanofog coated lenses. The only way I can push all water out is by getting out of water looking up (more up then for clearing of regular mask) and blowing several times though purge valves. I am not sure if it will work the same way under the water with regulator. Probably dry air will help. But before I’ll take this mask on a real dive I’ll appreciate any advice.

I own one of those and experience the same pooling when looking straight down. I don't think there's a solution. There's always a bit of water in a mask, but in a flat one you just don't notice because it doesn't pool in the centre of your view.

The mask should work nicely in most diving conditions, especially when you're looking ahead of you. You'll always get a little pooling when you look down though, it's inherent to the design of the mask. Try to keep it as dry as possible in the first place to minimize this.

Back
Top Bottom