Hydro and Visual

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I pay 20 for a hydro, that shop includes the vis on a hydro year for free (it's part of a hydro), and I vis my own other years (I'm qualified and certified) They charge 10 for a vis otherwise.

One LDS charges $40 for hydro, VIP, and fill. They will replace some valve o-rings for free as part of the service, but a complete valve overhaul is an additional $65.

I've overhauled all my valves myself and am taking a bunch of cylinders and some fire extinguishers to a large regional hydro test facility later this week. They charge $19 for hydro and another $1 for a VIP sticker at the time of hydro, and visual eddy (for the "bad" 6351 alloy) is another $5. These prices do not include a high-pressure fill, they just pressurize with enough dry air to prevent corrosion. I've talked with them on the phone about my cocktail mix of problem cylinders which include one with the 6351 alloy, two that will require internal shot blasting, and one pair each made under the Worthington and PST special permits -- and they've been very accommodating. They mostly work with commercial, industrial, and medical clients that hydro hundreds of cylinders every year, but seem happy to accept over the counter work.

I've been buying used cylinders lately and have seven cylinders that are out of hydro plus one that will expire next year, along with a half a dozen fire extinguishers that are out of hydro. It's worth the trip.

I gather that the situation varies regionally with some areas having LDS prices that are extremely reasonable.

$50 or so is not abnormal for hydro/vip/fill. I pay about $15-$25 per tank for hydro depending on where I go. The $25 will slap a vip sticker on there, I VIP on my own the rest of the time, but I currently have 8 pairs of tanks, so it adds up quick

hydro+vis, most shops are going to be in the 40 to 50 range (air fill included) whereas taking it directly to a hydro facility is usually around 25 to 30. most hydro places won't fill your tank though.

It depend where you are getting the hydro done. Look at where people are. If they are in your area the pricing is probably close. If they are in a different country then just ignore them. I'm in a different country. So I'm not going to bother telling you what we pay here.

Well the Large Regional Hydrotest Facility refuses to follow PST's re-rounding procedure because they are among the few that think that this is a) cheating, b) unsafe, c) unlawful, and d) causes premature dental decay.

At least, by talking to them in person, I found out before I dropped off my PST HP cylinders. I'm still having them do everything else. I'll ask around locally and check with an LDS I trust, but there are only a dozen or so hydro test facilities in the whole state that can do high-pressure testing and most of them only do in-house stuff or major industrial contracts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom