• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Hunters of the Deep 1954 Vintage Film

Discussion in 'Vintage Equipment Diving' started by urmaddad, Dec 14, 2018.

1. urmaddad

urmaddad Nassau Grouper

I found this recently uploaded to Youtube film Hunters of the Deep from 1954. There is a lot of vintage diving equipment shown along with some spearfishing. The underwater cameras are quite interesting. In the Caribbean section, they use Jack Browne masks.

tridacna, PoolsOpen, couv and 3 others like this.
  2. Sam Miller III

Sam Miller III Scuba Legend Scuba Legend

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    Very interesting historical find !
    I do not recall ever seeing or hearing of the movie
    A few comments...

FYI the participants
    Bob Dill - Even though he was younger than I recall I recognized him at 2:18
    Bob had a pronounced dark eye brows
    He was associated with NEL of SD for many years - passed on 15 ? years ago

Verne Petersen also passed away about 10 years ago

Connie Limbaugh died diving in French Cave in March 1959

Connie along with Andy Rechnitzer developed the Scrips Diving program
    They instructed Morgan, Tillman and Parks to create the LA Co UW Instructors program in 1954 (64 years ago) which is still active and producing top notch UW instructors
    Andy passed on 15 or so years ago-- Andy was the Project manager of the Trieste and developed the DDS Beaver

I did not know the remainder of the participants

Allan Hancock was a very wealthy CenCal oil man - My wife was President of Allan Hancock College

2:21-- Samson 38 cal Power head
    22:41 --Samson 1`6MM "sportsman" UW Camera housing
    Camera is a 16 MM Bell & Howell - I have one at my feet I purchased in 1958-3 years after the film
    Many of the cameras were home made plastic boxed shaped

The spear gun was a US Diver imported Champion Arbalete designed and first manufactured by Rene Calvalero in 1940 in France -- Imported many years by US Divers. I still have one -- very highly modified I used for halibut.

Fins ; were Voit web feet - a close copy of Bud Browns popular Duck Feet
    Mask : oval of the era & a few Bud Browns Wide View - Later 1962 (?) distributed by Voit

Note the surplus 38 Cu Ft & the 60 Cu Ft war surplus tanks & O2 connections on the doubles
    Very common SD area tanks - due -- I suspect to the USN fleet presence in SD

Interesting film - great find - I have passed in on the few remaining tribe from that era

Thanks, hope my comments clarified some portions of the film

Sam Miller, III

3. Akimbo

Akimbo Lift to Freedom Volunteer Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

couv and Sam Miller III like this.
  4. abnfrog

abnfrog Tech Instructor

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    SAM is the best source of FIRST hand diving history bar none we are VERY lucky to have him on this site

Sam Miller III and noj3333 like this.
  5. Sam Miller III

@abnfrog

"SAM is the best source of FIRST hand diving history bar none we are VERY lucky to have him on this site "
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Appreciate you comment and complement-- interesting not a pep from the op @urmaddad

Dive history -- or any history -- should be documented - possibly the poorest documented history is the very short history of recreational diving.

Some will say recreational diving began with Gilpatric in 1938- others much earlier- in the 1920s with Sturgil or the 1930s with the Bottom Scratchers-but the majority popped up after WW11. The first generation of Sturgils and Bottom Scratchers (See Jim Stewart - the last Bottom Scratcher ) have departed for the big reef in the sky, now the second generation is aging an rapidly dwindling in numbers

Last week I had lunch and a long visit with Barbara Allen. Who is Barbara ? She is the second oldest female dive instructor in the world,
    FYI
    When the first UW instructor program The LA Co UW Instructor Program was established in 1954 it was a very involved and difficult program -- and still is-many apply -some are selected - only a very few pass

Dottie Frazier came along in 1955 and became the worlds first female Certified UW instructor (she 96 ! )
    1956 Barbara Allen - worlds second female Certified UW instructor (82- travels the world)
    1957 Azalea Bevins -- better known as Zale Parry- worlds third Certified UW instructor -( 86 DEMA)
    1960 Lyn Chase - worlds fourth female UW instructor -- (88 sad --has Alzheimer's )

Now you know a little more history of female UW instruction

Stay warm way up there in the frozen north

Sam Miller, 111
    LA Co UW Instructor #11
    NAUI Instructor # A 27
    PADI Instructor # 241

@Akimbo

6. abnfrog

abnfrog Tech Instructor

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    wasn't dottie the one that also started a female motorcycle club in the 50's? I think the name of the club the meter maids

7. Popgun Pete

Popgun Pete Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 500 - 999
  8. Sam Miller III

Is this the real Pop Gun Pete from years gone by whom I respect and admire ?
    Welcome !
    And thanks for the heads up on the movie

Sam

9. Popgun Pete

Popgun Pete Nassau Grouper

The very same, but now a lot grayer!

Fibonacci likes this.
  10. Fibonacci

Fibonacci Manta Ray

Pete!