Humpback Whales of Tonga, with the Sony RX100IV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjh

Contributor
Reaction score

Attachments

• calffull.jpg
    calffull.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 136
  • heatrun.jpg
    heatrun.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 129
  • DSC06710-copy.jpg
    DSC06710-copy.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 132
  • upc2.jpg
    upc2.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 127
fantastic.......thanks for sharing.

Lovely photos. Do you mind sharing which operator you went with and how was it?

Hmmm we had a very mixed experience with this carrier. They were very well organized. We stayed at very nice resorts. The problem for us was the dive leader who was a foreigner and a principle in the company promoted snorkeling in a very, very conservative manner. They will say they are following the rules and it gives them the best encounters. Which is hard to argue against. We had been before and we saw other boats working with the same whales and they seemed a little more liberal in their interactions to no ill effect for the whales or divers.

They wanted everyone to swim to the spot the guide chose, ok, then hook arms. This is a problem especially in 3ft chop, with a housing, and hooking arms with someone who is not the strongest swimmer. They wanted you to leave your housing in a mask bucket with bottles of defog in it. In 3ft of chop the housings were slamming back in forth, we declined, they made a fuss but in the end "allowed" us to keep them in the dry box the provided for clothing. Sadly a photographer for a major travel magazine who had bought a surf housing left his in the bucket. His dome was banged up and on day three flooded due do the beating it was taking. He did not have a backup. The one time I ducked down about 3ft, to get out of the chop and try to avoid getting kicked in the face I was kept on deck as a penalty. I could go on but if you would like their name privately I will provide it. I think they would be fine for people who maybe are not the strongest swimmers, using a Gopro or just not avid photogs. We really liked the deck crew and the other misc staff and would not want to hurt their incomes. You can contact me at http://aquabluedreams.com/#/page/contact

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom