Hull Cleaning tools

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr.Clean

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Guys. I'm looking to do some hull cleaning starting in March up until about this time next year. As far as i can tell I'm going to need a scraper, some sort of bristled brush, and a suction device is there anything else i'll need, aside from the SCUBA equipment which I already have. I also have a question about using an air-powered grinder, with some sort of cloth or padded wheel to make my work easier? Could that be done? Would it be worth it? Thanks

Rule Number One- Always use the least abrasive tool possible to get the job done. Your primary concern is to clean the client's bottom with the least possible damage to his anti fouling paint. So you have a steep learning curve ahead of you and your scraper, stiff-bristled brush and pneumatic grinder are not the best tools to use on paint that is in any kind of decent condition.

Where are you planning to work?

Last edited:
Rule Number One- Always use the least abrasive tool possible to get the job done. Your primary concern is to clean the client's bottom with the least possible damage to his anti fouling paint. So you have a steep learning curve ahead of you and your scraper, stiff-bristled brush and pneumatic grinder are not the best tools to use on paint that is in any kind of decent condition.

Where are you planning to work?

From what I have heard, the Monongahela(at Monongahela City) River is the most commercially traveled river in the US(even above the Mississippi). And I live a stone's throw away from it. So, I'm gonna head down to a few marina's and see if I can drum up some business. I guess I'll use a standard wash-cloth out of my bathroom or something, on a grinder.

I used to take big floor buffer pads and cut pieces to fit my hand. Those work well for slime without killing the paint. Then an plastic ice scraper and a metal scraper for barnacles - plastic on the fiberglass and fragile parts and metal on the props and shafts. No need for anything fancy or grinders. Suction cups from West Marine work well for holding on and you can slide them as you go. For steel hulls a 12" taping knife is the bomb for heavy crap.

From what I have heard, the Monongahela(at Monongahela City) River is the most commercially traveled river in the US(even above the Mississippi). And I live a stone's throw away from it. So, I'm gonna head down to a few marina's and see if I can drum up some business. I guess I'll use a standard wash-cloth out of my bathroom or something, on a grinder.
Some things to consider:

1.- There may be little or no call for hull cleaning in your freshwater environment. There certainly isn't in this neck of the woods.

2.- You will likely be required to carry shiprepairers liability insurance by the marinas you plan to work in. Some marinas may require a business license as well.

3.- You should be prepared to replace sacrificial anodes. Don't know what sacrificial anodes are? Every boat with an inboard engine that lives in the water has them. Do some homework. Here's a tip- they are commonly referred to as "zincs" and the ones intended for use in saltwater actually are made of zinc. However, in freshwater you use magnesium anodes.

4.- Your grinder should probably be left at home. Not only will it probably not work well for hull cleaning with whatever jury-rig you have planned for it, but if I'm a boat owner, the last thing I'm going to do is let a rookie hull cleaner go at my very expensive anti fouling paint with any kind of mechanical tool. Clean by hand with Doodlebug pads. You will do a better job and on most boats, you will not save time using your pnuematic tool.

Hull cleaning is not rocket science, but it does require a knowledge of boats and boat systems. Just because you have some recreational dive gear and want to earn an extra buck doesn't mean you should be doing it. Ignorance could cost your customer (and you) big, big dollars, or worse. If you are serious about becoming a professional hull cleaner, I applaud you. But don't go into it without some idea about what you are doing.

fstbttms,

Does the diver (i.e. hullcleaner) association that you are a member of, offer any form of training to help educate new and would be boat maintainence technicians? This guy would probably benifit from some sort of online course or a handbook.

Mudd

The California Professional Divers Association does offer a Best Management Practices certification course. It is not a "how to" on hull cleaning for noobies, however. It is a course for hull cleaners on how to minimize the pollution that in-water hull cleaning activities create and how best to maximize the life of the customer's anti fouling paint.

No doubt Dr. Clean would benefit from taking the course, but it is only offered in California.

I am looking into insurance, and It doesn't seem to be THAT expensive, I mean it could be cheaper, but whatever. But, are there any books out there that you could recommend? They don't have to be very specific to hull cleaning. But anything that will give me knowledge relating to boats, can't hurt. I studied for my boater's license but never took the test, so I do have some knowledge but no knowledge of maintenance.

Here are the two items I find myself referring to most often:

"Metal Corrosion in Boats" by Nigel Calder- kinda dry, but the bible as far as corrosion control goes
The West Marine catalog- lots of great info about anti fouling paint

You might consider finding work for an established dive service in your area. As a real noob, you have a tough row to hoe. You could flatten your learning curve considerably if you went to work for someone who already knows the ropes and could show you.

What the hell is a "boater's license"?

Here are the two items I find myself referring to most often:

"Metal Corrosion in Boats" by Nigel Calder- kinda dry, but the bible as far as corrosion control goes
The West Marine catalog- lots of great info about anti fouling paint

You might consider finding work for an established dive service in your area. As a real noob, you have a tough row to hoe. You could flatten your learning curve considerably if you went to work for someone who already knows the ropes and could show you.

What the hell is a "boater's license"?

In Pennsylvania you're required to have a boaters license on a motor-boat. I think you might be able to get away without one if you have a 3 horsepower engine and are under 12 ft. I THINK. I could be wrong though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom