Huge old Ikelite dive lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kombiguy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Photo on 5-6-15 at 11.42 AM.jpgHi! I was given a bunch of older Ikelite dive lights. Included were 2 mini-c lights, a Super c-lite HX, and 2 lights with no names. These are huge lights, and one of them uses a GE4546 bulb. The other one is identical but uses a PR13 bulb in a holder the size of a GE4546 bulb. It looks like they take some sort of lantern battery, maybe a 6V or thereabouts.
Do you have any info on these lights that you could pass on? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

ah the memories..... bought one like the one you are holding so I could do my first night dive back in 1989.... One big clunky light.... and I even flew with it in my baggage with the battery in it....

I have one at home that I just bought a battery for. If no one else chimes in I'll get you that info tonight.

uploadfromtaptalk1431128455845.jpg
You are correct. A 6V lantern battery. I opted to plastidip mine. I actually like how it came out.

They also make LED replacements for this as well. Just haven't picked one up yet.

View attachment 208093
You are correct. A 6V lantern battery. I opted to plastidip mine. I actually like how it came out.

They also make LED replacements for this as well. Just haven't picked one up yet.
I like the plasti-dip. Looks good! I'll probably go the LED route, and if I get up the energy, I may see about a custom Li-ion battery pack.

GE4546 bulb is for video lights and that Bob was shoes with the NiCad battery pack six or 8D size batteries was in the pack I still have the light everything but the NiCad because they went bye-bye a long time ago I just never rebuilt the NiCad pack because I used the cave light and it was Ikelite light as far as I know this for a little history the regular bulb in that light was used on a carriage or a bugging I should say at that time was a superlight which is about the brightest light you get at the time hope this helps

An old thread but Ikelite's are still with us. Just to note that the "headlights" Ikelite used were indeed just that, a nominal SIX volt tractor headlight which was still common in the 70's. Now they are quite scarce and pricey, often $25 delivered and easily twice that. Available in "floodlight" and "spotlight" beams.

The LED PAR36 bulbs are usually TWELVE volts bulbs, useless for the Ikelite's that took a 6v lantern battery. The Ikelite (Super?) took 6xD cells for an intentional overvoltage, 7.2V with NiCad batteries, 9V with conventional cells. Used that way, the bulb life was cut down to something like 20 hours, about 3 hours on a set of batteries, but the brightness was incredibly higher than "the same" bulb had in the 6V models. The bulbs purchased as "diving" bulbs from Ikelite always had a diode placed across the terminals, this serves a purpose, it prevents current inrushes when the lamp is turned on, and prolongs the bulb life. The diode can be re-used on new bulbs that come without one.

I'd love a source for 6V PAR36 spotlight bulbs.

Ikelite still has the X-ring (not o-ring) seals for the controls for some of these.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom