HS Explorer and Dell Laptops, no response from HS Eng!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

teksimple

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I need to purchase a constant P02 dive computer, and I like the RGBM algorithm available on the HS Explorer. So doing some research on the http://hs-eng.com and Oxycheq site, discovered that there is apparently a problem with Dell laptops and the HS Explorer. Ahem, I doubt if I am the only tech diver with a Dell laptop.

From the HS Engineering FAQ:

Q: When I attempt to download/upload from my laptop to the Explorer, it resets?

A: At this time Dell laptops are known cause the Explorer to reset. Other laptops may also cause the same problem. Follow this link

The link does not exist.

So, I emailed the sales and support e-mail addresses provided, and both bounced back undeliverable. I contacted Patrick at Oxycheq, and he said that he would check with HS Eng guys and get back to me. So far nothing. Has anyone else encountered this problem. Does anyone else have an HS Explorer and use it w/ a Dell Laptop?

I bet HS Engineering doesn't even realize that a web site created with Word97-- complete with broken links and invalid email addresses--sure doesn't inspire technically-inclined customers with confidence in their hardware!

"Sorry, lady, your boyfriend is dead because, well, there was this little bug in the code that our Microsoft spell checker didn't catch on the first try. But we have a free firmware upgrade we will gladly apply for free as soon as you recover the computer from the bottom of the chasm."

teksimple:
I need to purchase a constant P02 dive computer, and I like the RGBM algorithm available on the HS Explorer. So doing some research on the http://hs-eng.com and Oxycheq site, discovered that there is apparently a problem with Dell laptops and the HS Explorer. Ahem, I doubt if I am the only tech diver with a Dell laptop.

Call Gene Melton direct at H-S Engineering. He is always quite helpful and can tell you the "fix".

teksimple:

From the HS Engineering FAQ:

Q: When I attempt to download/upload from my laptop to the Explorer, it resets?

A: At this time Dell laptops are known cause the Explorer to reset. Other laptops may also cause the same problem. Follow this link

The link does not exist.

So, I emailed the sales and support e-mail addresses provided, and both bounced back undeliverable. I contacted Patrick at Oxycheq, and he said that he would check with HS Eng guys and get back to me. So far nothing. Has anyone else encountered this problem. Does anyone else have an HS Explorer and use it w/ a Dell Laptop?

I bet HS Engineering doesn't even realize that a web site created with Word97-- complete with broken links and invalid email addresses--sure doesn't inspire technically-inclined customers with confidence in their hardware!

"Sorry, lady, your boyfriend is dead because, well, there was this little bug in the code that our Microsoft spell checker didn't catch on the first try. But we have a free firmware upgrade we will gladly apply for free as soon as you recover the computer from the bottom of the chasm."

The link worked for a long time....

You need a USB to rs232 computer.. Dell and some other manufacturers that have "rs232" ports on their machines DO NOT follow rs2323 specs.. The voltages are wrong (too low) and what happens is that they end up sinking voltage from the computer which can't supply it.

most of the better USB to RS232 converters can pull up 500-800ma from the usb port and will satisfy the improper rs232 design on the dell (and others)
Many laptops today don't even have rs232 ports anymore.. My Hp does not and I am using it with a usb convert I picked up at comp usa.

And He does know what the website was made with.. Many people who KNOW what they are doing prefer to do web sites in html (manually) so they have full control what it looks like not what some crappy program generates. Many times I use a simple text editor to do my websites (sometimes I'll use crappy front page - depend on how lazy I am being)

Links to other manufacturer's frequently change.. Gene's phone was out for a LONG time, still not sure how good his internet access is yet.. last time I spoke with him (a little over a week ago), his voice line was horrible, so I'm guessing internet access is still sparse.

The email links on his web page look at the underlying link for the real email address (support@hs-eng.com points to gmelton@hs-eng.com) should work (unless they recently changed), those are the ones I have in my address book and have used over the years.

padiscubapro:
The link worked for a long time....

I meant to be sarcastic, not offensive :) Tends to get more response, I have noticed.

padiscubapro:
You need a USB to rs232

Excellent, so I don't need a new laptop! That what I had hoped to hear from Patrick or Gene.

padiscubapro:
sometimes I'll use crappy front page - depend on how lazy I am being

As do I. But I always take the time to pull the FrontPage keywords (that MS always injects) OUT of my document before I upload it to the server, so people don't assume that I am unsophisticated, rather than just lazy.

padiscubapro:
Links to other manufacturer's frequently change.. Gene's phone was out for a LONG time, still not sure how good his internet access is yet.. last time I spoke with him (a little over a week ago), his voice line was horrible, so I'm guessing internet access is still sparse.

gmelton@hs-eng.comshould work

I went through a cetegory 5 hurricane, so I guess that is a pretty darned good excuse.

I found his real e-mail when I did a whois query on the domain. Didn't think to look at the source, though! But he has not replied. Maybe because he has to wade through a lot of spam? If you contact him, maybe suggest JAVA encoding e-mail addresses (unreadable to spam bots) on his web pages.

Much obliged for your advice, padiscubapro

OH, BTW, there is a reason I prefer communicating via e-mail. I am in Baghdad and-- during HS-ENG normal business hours--a rather dangerous trek away from the nearest U.S.-dialable phone.

teksimple:
OH, BTW, there is a reason I prefer communicating via e-mail. I am in Baghdad and-- during HS-ENG normal business hours--a rather dangerous trek away from the nearest U.S.-dialable phone.

Damn! Don't blame ya there! Keep your head down and stay safe!

I did the trek and called Gene and spoke to him on the phone after not getting an e-mail response back from Patric or Gene. Gene was a very pleasant individual and confirmed your assessment about the Dell RS-232 problem. Nothing that a cheap USB-DB9.serial adaptor can't take care of. Thanks for your help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom