HP T Adapters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Shrink

Registered
Reaction score
I have a Titan Micra Adj and decided I wanted to use a hoseless AI as a backup for my cobra computer. The Titan first stage has only one HP port. I use a Dacor Viper on my Pony. . . it has 2 HP ports.

Here's the question: does anyone know of an HP port T-adapter that I can use with my Titan (I've looked and can only find LP T-adapters). . . OR. . . what about putting the Micra Adj 2nd stage on the Viper first stage?

In days gone by I used a yoke adapter between the valve and the yoke on my US Divers Royal Aquamaster two-hose regulator. I still have the adapter, but it is a different size female than current HP AI transmitters. I think there is an adapter to size this to current HP transmitter sizes.

Of course, I could get another regulator, or an Aqualung Legend 1st stage with 2 HP ports, but I'm looking for the path of least resistance since the Micra is brand new.

Ideas?

Go to a Trident dealer. Every time I think of something completely useless and unique that I cannot find anywhere, I look there. Other than that I don't think that I have ever heard of an HP splitter.

If I could give you my opinion though...
2 things
One, I have sold alot of Cobra's, great computers. Very versatile and reliable. I have NEVER seen one fail and only know one guy that uses a backup. He also carries a 30 cu. ft. pony, lift bag, reel and two lights. None of which he knows how to use. Anyways the point is that I wouldn't be worried about a cobra failing.
Two, I wouldn't use a splitter on an HP port anyways, I think that it poses too much of a risk if it malfunctions.

What do you mean by a wireless AI are you talking about an AERIS computer or just a digital wireless? Either way, I believe, and I think that many others will agree that the wireless technology is far less perfected than that of digital airintegrated computers such as your cobra.

Hope this helps...

Spider senses tingling...

rescuediver009:
Go to a Trident dealer.

What do you mean by a wireless AI.

Hope this helps...

Thanks for the guidance. RE: "wireless." That just goes to show I spend too much time on the computer and not enough with hoses. . . I meant "hoseless." I actually bought a Vytec yesterday. I'll try it with the adapter from years ago, come this weekend. LDS doesn't even list (in their Aqualung book) the Legend first stage. They're contacting Aqualung to see what it costs alone, without the Legend 2nd stage.

Scuba Shrink:
. . . I meant "hoseless." I actually bought a Vytec yesterday. I'll try it with the adapter from years ago, come this weekend.
sorry I still don't seem to understand your two HP gauges. One is a vytec, and the other? From what I understand you have a vytec and a cobra.... and that is completely silly. Please do explain some more.
As for the next first stage I would look at that as a last option.

If you're going to back up an air integrated computer with something, don't back it up with something much more likely to fail (a wireless transmitter), back it up with an SPG.

I think the whole idea is kinda dubious because you're adding a bunch of O-rings that can fail with the T-adapter. Do you *REALLY* need to back up your Cobra? If it dies, you should know how much air you have, and you can abort the dive immediately.

I agree with Jon. I have never seen a cobra fail. I think that the digital air integration is now perfected. The wireless still has a few glitches, though they are not presentunder the water. the vytec is unaffected by bubble interferance. It only locks up on the surface occationally.

I appreciate that I may appear silly, and over-hosed to other folks. I have been out of the water for 20 years, and I'm getting a bit cautious in my old age. I started diving in 1968, and still have an original Scuba Pro mechanical Decom meter, Fenzy horsecollar, and "Mike Nelson" style Royal Aquamaster 2 hose regulator.

When fumbling with a camera it gets dicey trying to grab the Cobra to navigate, check time, etc. I figured having a backup isn't a bad idea, and lots better on my right wrist, where I can regularly check what I'm doing while manhandling the photo rig. I picked a Vytec specifically for remaining dive time / tank pressure, otherwise a Mosquito, Gekko (wanted to keep the same RGB algorithms) or Cyber Aqualand would have been satisfactory. I suppose the Cobra will really become my backup. I appreciate the comments on Cobra reliability (I took the LDS' word for it).

I'm not really concerned with looking silly. I am concerned with not getting so absorbed taking pictures or spearing fish that I fail to check my bottom time. Since I find my old habit of looking at my wrist for depth, time, and compass is very strong, its easier to buy an AI wrist computer than try to change the habit.

At least I'm not using my Royal Aquamaster anymore :).

Scuba Shrink:
I appreciate that I may appear silly, and over-hosed to other folks. I have been out of the water for 20 years, and I'm getting a bit cautious in my old age.
I think that there is cautious and then redundant. I wouldn't worry about a backup then. Unless you are doing pentration or deco I would say just stick with the vytec and know that when you have a malfunction you would be calling the dive anyways. so getting to the surface as soon as possible is just as much a priority.

Back
Top Bottom