Hows this look?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spright

Registered
Reaction score
I got certified pretty recently and am taking the step to buying my own set of equipment:) Could you please look at this list and comment...thanks:)
* Aqualung Micra Adjustable Regulator
* SeaQuest Diva LX BC
* SeaQuest AirSource Inflator/alt. air combo
* Genesis Resource/Air Pressure Gauge Combo
* Tusa Cetus fins
* Tusa Spledive IV mask
* Scubapro Flip Snorkel
* Henderson Octotropic Booties
* Princeton Tec 400 or 40 light

-Elizabeth

I can't fault any of your planned equipment purchases, but would rather suggest one criteria you should consider if you haven't already.

Be assured that no matter how much homework you do, how hard you shop, and how many recommendations from others that you get, you will eventually see other equipment that you like "better" or that solves a "problem" you have with your initial purchases!

Once you have your own stuff, you become much more observant of what others are using or the things you see advertised. For a person that dives frequently, there's always a piece of equipment or an upgrade that you want. It's a never ending viscious cycle.

With this said, I would only advise you to not buy top drawer or top price equipment....you'll probably want to change it within a year or so.

Also, didn't see a computer in your list?

DSAO

:froggy:Yes, Sprite, he's correct, we are worse than golfers & fishermen ever could hope to be. Buy the best you can afford. :froggy:

Thanks for replying...
I know...I'm an equipment freak:) I am basically going by the reviews at Rodales and what the few divers in my town are saying.
The computer is the Genesis Resource...it looks like its easy to understand and has gotten really good reviews
-Elizabeth

Hi SPRIGHT,

Looks good to me as well, I do have a couple of related suggestions as well. I assume the Princeton tec is a wetsiut of some kind. If you are diving anywhere other than the warmest of waters, get as much wet suit as you can buy. You can always circulate water thru it if you are too warm but you are stuck with cold if your wetsuit is not heavy enough. A two piece gives you the most flexability, you can wear either piece or both if needed and a dive skin is a must have as far as I am concerned. It makes getting into wetsuits much easier and acts a sunscreen as well. I use mine in the caribean when I am snorkeling between dives, I get funny looks from non-divers but it sure beats the heck out of distroying a expensive vacation due to sunburn. Also, get a spare set of fin straps, mask straps and a spare weight pocket for the Diva. All of these items can save a dive. By the way, my wife has a Diva and loves it.

No, the Princeton Tec is actually a dive light (both backup lights) :) Thanks for helping me on wetsuits though...that was going to be my next question:D
-Elizabeth

Herman is right on the wetsuit part. I have a quarter inch farmer john and i use both pieces off of Southern Cal (55-72 deg F and the bottom half in the tropics. HAve you tried those split fins yet? I gave in and bought a pair of Scubapro Twin Jet Graphites and i haven't looked back! those things are phenomenal!

Hi Spright,

Herman is right on about the dive skin. It makes getting in and out of a wetsuit a billion times easier. I have a regular spandex skin for warm water diving and I have a Polartec for when I want a little added warmth. I was skeptical at first, but after I tried it the first time, I will never dive without some sort of skin ever again.

Cheers,

I got certified pretty recently and am taking the step to buying my own set of equipment:) Could you please look at this list and comment...thanks:)
* Aqualung Micra Adjustable Regulator
* SeaQuest Diva LX BC
* SeaQuest AirSource Inflator/alt. air combo
* Genesis Resource/Air Pressure Gauge Combo
* Tusa Cetus fins
* Tusa Spledive IV mask
* Scubapro Flip Snorkel
* Henderson Octotropic Booties
* Princeton Tec 400 or 40 light

-Elizabeth

Have you considered a BPW?

I would ditch the integrated octo. Get a standard one unless the shop is going to provide free and complete training in its use. You may find you don't like it. I would also take any magazine reviews with a grain of salt. Most are just regurgitated ad copy from the mfg. These magazines are given the gear to test. Unlike consumer reports that actually purchases what they evaluate. There are numerous gear mfg's but you only see a handfull that are actually tested. Think about why that is. If a mfg does not grease somebodys palm with free gear it does not get a look. I trust no magazine reviews. Especially in the dive world that I have seen so far.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom