Hows the Vancouver Viz??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nalidixic

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm considering coming down from the interior to dive with some friends this weekend. Since I haven't been down in about 5 weeks, I'm just curious how the viz is at places like Whytecliff or Porteau? If you got any sort of report, let me know! Thanks!!

Nali

It hasn't been as murky as it usually is this time of year. Then again, the weather hasn't been stellar & that's probably reduced the plankton bloom. But in the last couple weeks I've actually had dives with up to about 25ft viz at Whytecliff (once you clear the upper layer, of course).

was just out on the 24th for a night dive. Vis was not the best but could have been worse. nessum was right once you get past the first 20' it did clear up as you descend. It was on a 15' tidal exchange lil rough swim out.
Les

Hey guys. I ended up making it down this weekend and diving on Saturday with friends. We went out to the Nakaya at Porteau. It was my first dive on the Nakaya and all I can say is, WOW! It is SO much better then the Granthall :p BTW, anyone loose a rental weight belt (25 pounds approx with soft weights)? We found one out by the Nakaya but didn't bother bringing it back. Also, we found a snorkle close to the Nakaya. Msg me if you want the heading for the weight belt :p Ttyl.

Nali

Nalidixic:
Hey guys. I ended up making it down this weekend and diving on Saturday with friends. We went out to the Nakaya at Porteau. It was my first dive on the Nakaya and all I can say is, WOW! It is SO much better then the Granthall :p BTW, anyone loose a rental weight belt (25 pounds approx with soft weights)? We found one out by the Nakaya but didn't bother bringing it back. Also, we found a snorkle close to the Nakaya. Msg me if you want the heading for the weight belt :p Ttyl.

Nali

gimme back my snorkel just kiddin you can keep it i lost mine on the nakaya it was my first dive there to on the 20th and like you said WOW i didnt get to close to the other end though oh well next time

Nalidixic:
It was my first dive on the Nakaya and all I can say is, WOW! It is SO much better then the Granthall :p
If you liked the Nakaya, you'll really like the Mackenzie and the G.B. Church. I dove them for the first time a couple weekends ago and really enjoyed it. Do yourself a favour and check them out. You won't be disappointed. I want to dive the Nanaimo wrecks next.

Daryl Morse:
If you liked the Nakaya, you'll really like the Mackenzie and the G.B. Church. I dove them for the first time a couple weekends ago and really enjoyed it. Do yourself a favour and check them out. You won't be disappointed. I want to dive the Nanaimo wrecks next.

where is the Mackenzie and the G.B. church?

The HMCS Mackenzie is a destroyer that was sunk as an artificial reef just north of Rum Island (Isle-de-Lis marine park). The G.B. Church is a freighter that was also sunk as a reef near Portland Island. You can find more information on the ships on the Artificial Reef Society of British Columbia website: http://www.artificialreef.bc.ca/OurShips/index.htm

Also be sure to check out www.victoriadiving.50megs.com and www.dive.bc.ca for descriptions and photos.

Daryl Morse:

Highly recommend diving the Saskatchewan. Do try to make it over there

DiverDebbie:
Highly recommend diving the Saskatchewan. Do try to make it over there

I will have to make it over there sometime. Thats in Nanaimo, right? Seeing as I am from the interior, its tough to get down there. Besides, this weekend is an ATV'ing weekend. Its a tough choice between scuba diving or atving :p Wait a sec, no it isn't, scuba is better! :p

Nali

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom