How's the diving around Scotland?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pitchblack70

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Wild question (since we currently live in NY) - but we've been to Edinburgh a few times, and do love it. Hubbie and I have talked a few times about relocating...and wondered how the diving was in the area. (We're new divers, but want to continue the sport, and would hate to move somewhere where diving was difficult to find.) Thanks in advance for any info! :D

Wild question (since we currently live in NY) - but we've been to Edinburgh a few times, and do love it. Hubbie and I have talked a few times about relocating...and wondered how the diving was in the area. (We're new divers, but want to continue the sport, and would hate to move somewhere where diving was difficult to find.) Thanks in advance for any info! :D

Ever heard of Scapa Flow? Northern Scotland, Orkney Islands has some of the best wreck diving in the world. I am heading back there this year. There are also quite a number of wrecks in the Shetlands I am told.
Scotland is a beautiful country.

There is some wonderful diving not far from Edinburgh, one of the most popular spots is St Abbs with loads of hardboats operating from there for wreck and deeper diving, also plenty of shore diving for scenic stuff. A 2 hour drive will take you over country to the west coast where the diving is even better, west coast of scotland has big tides, warmer water, great vis, massive wall dives, wrecks, sea lochs for sheltered shore dives, it's got the lot. Getting to Orkney and Scapa flow is a bit harder, you still have a 5 or 6 hour drive to get up to the ferry but once over to the islands the wrecks of the german fleet are fantastic diving in sheltered water and depths from 15m to 50m. Shetland is even better diving but is a 14 hour ferry ride from aberdeen which is a 2 or 3 hour drive from Edinburgh.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom