How's the coral in New Caledonia? And Seychelles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oira79

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We're planning our next dive trip (last trip was Raja Ampat) and my wife is interested in New Caledonia.

I can't find much info online, other than that the island had a bad coral bleaching episode in 2016.

Has anyone been diving there more recently? How was it?

(I have similar questions about the Seychelles, which is another place we're thinking about.)

Thanks for your help.

Oira79:

It depends on where you go in New Caledonia. I did several dives at the Passe de Boulari (near Noumea, the capital) and there were areas where, massive die off is an appropriate description. However, not but a few hundred yards in another direction and it was teaming with life. I had the opportunity to dive at Lifou and it was gorgeous, full of life and color. Snorkeled up in the north near Poum and everything was dead, with lots of what looked like sargassum algae on the skeletons of what used to be reefs. On the east coast at Hienghene, the reef in front of the Koulnoue Beach Resort was in fair shape with the coral definitely looking healthier on the deeper drop offs.

I dove with Alize Dive Center in Noumea and with Lagoon Safari on Lifou. If you decide to go to Lifou, don't bother emailing them. Call them to verify availability.

O

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom