Howdy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mitch

Reaction score
Howdy, fellow divers!

Hey when you're from The Lone Star State (Texas), you must say "Howdy", right? :) Anyway, I thought I would also introduce myself to the board so here goes.

I have been diving since 1991, currently have Advanced and Nitrox certifications. Like most folks who grew up at the time I did, I got my inspiration to dive from watching the adventures of Mike Nelson in "Sea Hunt" when I was a kid. However, it did take me a long time to finally get certified but I am glad I did.

As I write this, I have 228 dives on my log. I do a lot of diving in the lakes and quarries in Texas such as Lake Travis, The Blue Lagoon, and Athens Scuba Park but my bluewater experience includes Florida, The Texas Flower Gardens, Bonaire, Cozumel, and Cayman. Bottom-line is that I love to dive and a diving trip is my preferred mode of taking vacations.

While I can not say I will be an "active" poster, I will be a lurker and will post comments from time-to-time. Hope to talk to all of you, especially anyone else from the Lone Star state.

Hello Mitch, there's nothing wrong with lurking... so lurk at will. Welcome to our family, glad to have you aboard.

Sea you in the Deep Blue!

Howdy fellow Texan! Which part of this great state are you from? Me, north of Dallas. There are some other Texans here too (Corsair, Tom Vyles, Jimbo, etc). Even Natasha has decided to become one of us :)

Glad to have you hear and I look forward to your contributions.

Native Texan here. You and I have dove many of the same mud holes. Travis, blue lagoon, athens, oasis, and clear springs. From you knowing where the lagoon is I am guessing you are from the Houston-huntsville- east Texas area or at least got trained there. Welcome to the board.

Tom

North of Dallas

Hey Mitch,

I am relative newcomer to diving, but have dove Athens Scuba Park and Possum Kingdom Lake. Looking forward to getting out to Clear Springs very soon.

Plenty of fellow Texans on this board, not to mention the real nice Texan wannabes from all over the rest of the planet. :)

Like the bumper sticker says:
  • "Not a native Texan...but got here as fast as I could"

In Lubbock, Tx. For all of you that don't speak Southern English, that's pronounced---Lubbuck, not Lubbick. And for you that are not up on your Texas geography that's in West Texas.

Spent 4 years there in the "Dust Bowl"

ID

TexasMike, right now, I live just east of Houston in Deer Park but will probably be moving to another part of town depending on my current job prospects. The DFW area is another great possibility, again depending on job prospects. I would certainly love to move up that way as I do have family that live in the DFW area I know that the dive clubs up there are very active.

I do think we might have met before as I recall a post from you a few months back which you mentioned being in Houston during Seaspace (and that giant flood) with Marc. I did visit with Marc that day. The only time I ever came up to Athens, it was last July when they were sinking the plane and I hung out with the Marc and the Scubadillos that weekend. I had planned to come up last weekend, but my plans fell through, however, I will try to come up Labor Day weekend.

I am that bumpersticker, I was not born in the state (dad was in the Air Force), however, we moved here after he retired and I have lived 3/4 of my life here. I even once considered relocating to another state, but I have found that I have too much Texas in me.

As for the rest of the Texans on this board, I have been reading your posts for several weeks and have enjoyed your contributions. Hopefully, I will meet some of you in person down the road.

I didn't make SeaSpace this time, but Marc has been a major influence in my dive career. He's one of those that has lots of good things to share and is always worth listening too.

I'm not sure of my Labor Day Weekend plans at this moment, but will keep everyone informed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom