Howdy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rockhound

Reaction score
Hi ya'll,

I tend to be long-winded, so forgive me. I just type too fast, er, I think....

I'm new here, having just found this place today. After surfing through the threads a bit, this looks like a great resource for divers.

Some background:

I was certified in 1976, in Columbus, Georgia (NASDS). For many years after that, I was a very active diver and even considered a career in the Marine Biology. Most of my diving was offshore of the Florida Panhandle or in the nearby springs.

Eventually, I earned degrees in Marine Science and Geology at the U. of Alabama. I am now a petroluem geologist/geophysicist, specializing in offshore exploration in the Gulf of Mexico.

After moving to Houston in 1990, I continued to actively dive and was an officer in a local dive club, occasionally writing articles for local diving publications and becoming an avid underwater photographer.

Unfortunately, in 1996, my youngest child, then a toddler , was diagnosed with cancer. It was a long, drawn out and difficult process that eventually ended in a successful bone marrow transplant. For that reason, I did not touch the water for nearly 5 years and most of my gear sat in the closet, completely unloved.

After thinking about it for a while, I have set off on a course to gradually get back into the sport. After a dozen dives or so over the last year, including a couple of trips to the Texas Flower Gardens and Panama City, FL, I still see that I have a ways to go. However, I am very patient. Mostly, I need to work on my confidence and composure, since I have felt oddly (and suprisingly!) anxious on a couple of dives (NEVER, not ONCE, had I felt this before). Anyway, I'm working on it......

Unfortunately, my gear is pretty old, some of it over 20 years old, so I hope to learn from you guys the latest and best routes to take for re-outfitting myself with better and safer gear in preparation for this new "dive" into the sport .

My fins were starting to crack, my mask(s) have deteriorated and my 25yr. old BC had seen much better days, so a gear reload is definitely in order.

Last week, I picked up a new BC (Zeagle Ranger, similar to my trusty AT-PAC in style and function), today I'm getting a new mask (Cressi Big Eye), but I still need to pick up some new fins, a snorkle, the pony setup, and maybe decide whether or not to send my old Monitor I computer in for a new battery (although this is an old computer and I have a newer Matrix, my old eyes prefer them big numbers).

I want to learn the pluses and minuses of split fin technologies, recommended sizing and mountings for a pony bottle (I do U/W photos, which means I'm often solo or with an SOB, but at depths "usually" above 100')

I'm also looking for recommendations as to whether or not I should upgrade my 17yr. old Oceanic Delta rig with a new "kit" recommended by a local shop (whatver that is), leave it "as is" (still in warrantee and well maintained), or get a totally new rig.

Anyway, I promise I'm not so long-winded in person. Thanks for any advice in advance.....

Howdy from the other end of the world...North Texas (Denton, to be exact).

Welcome to the board! We have a good group in the Houston area that is diving all the time. So you might buzz Dee and see what the schedule is. Also monitor the "Texas Swamp Diving Team" section for whats going on.

We're glad you're here and look forward to your contributions!

Glad to have you aboard. I am sure you will enjoy the board as much as we all do.

Chad

im sure you will find this site really useful, its great to be able to get other divers advice on stuff when they have nothing to gain like the dive shops. I am fairly new to diving and none of my close freinds or family dive so I find this site invaluable

welcome to the site and welcome back to diving

wendi in the UK

Welcome from Idaho. I'm sure that you will enjoy the board.

Originally posted by Rockhound
Mostly, I need to work on my confidence and composure, since I have felt oddly (and suprisingly!) anxious on a couple of dives (NEVER, not ONCE, had I felt this before). Anyway, I'm working on it......
Um... that almost sounds like old age and mortality sneaking up on you.:D

Welcome to the board from the cold waters of New England.
Have fun, Dive Safe..............................Arduous

Well from Humble, Texas (close enough). I grew up in Conroe and know it well. Glad to have you on the board.

Keep an eye out on the TSDT section for diver get togethers. We'll be happy for you to join in!

ScubaDuke

Welcome to our pond. :thumb:

There is usually a group out at the new local spot, Twin Lakes, on the weekends and you're more than welcome to join us. It's about 45-50 mi. south of you. You can see a good variety of gear and I'm sure you can try out several fins designs for yourself!

The Texas Swamp Diving forum is a good place to keep track of the local news and activities.

Hope you can join us soon!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom