Howdy from New York

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HFGill

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey there everyone. I was a member many years ago but can't for the life of my remember my old username haha. So here I am again.

I'm based in New York and have been diving for many years. My favorite "local" destination is Grand Turk and my favorite "300 hours of travel" location is Komodo Island :)

In warm water I dive in those cool tights that look like whale shark skin and once had a remora attach to me lol.

Welcome back. Native of Yonkers here. What part of the city are you from? Dive locally?
I always spend 7 weeks in Westchester in summer & usually dive the CT shore-- except for last year of course. Fingers crossed cases will decrease in the U.S. and at some point the border finally reopens.

Thanks! I’m actually in Westchester, but it’s easier to say NY as no one knows where Peekskill is haha.

We haven’t dived locally, but do drive down to NC to do the wrecks which I very much enjoy.

Anywhere good around the city? Must be pretty cold haha.

I wouldn't mind a couple of years diving there

no one knows where Peekskill is haha

Well then they should watch more American television

G'day!

Thanks! I’m actually in Westchester, but it’s easier to say NY as no one knows where Peekskill is haha.

We haven’t dived locally, but do drive down to NC to do the wrecks which I very much enjoy.

Anywhere good around the city? Must be pretty cold haha.
I usually spend my 7 weeks late June- early Aug. just South of you in Croton Point Park. The CT shore dives are very shallow. Usually less than 20 feet. Somewhat better on L.I., if you can find parking. There is a NY/NJ Beach guide online somewhere. Not much shore diving in North Jersey, save 3 so-so spots.
In Nova Scotia you just pull off the road, park for free and walk into the water, no dive flag, hardly ever a boat to be seen....different world.

I'm sorry, but if you say New York, that means you're from the city. Anything north of Yonkers is Upstate New York. :poke:

I'm sorry, but if you say New York, that means you're from the city. Anything north of Yonkers is Upstate New York. :poke:
Actually, when I was at Queens College a classmate referred to Yonkers as Upstate. Did you know that around 1898, Yonkers, Mt. Vernon & lower Westchester, unlike Staten Island, Brooklyn, Queens & part of The Bronx, voted not to become a burrough. Thus it is referred to at times as the 6th Burrough. That is why the subway stopped within sight of the Bronx/Yonkers line, after having been planned to go into Getty Square, downtown Yonkers.

Actually, when I was at Queens College a classmate referred to Yonkers as Upstate. Did you know that around 1898, Yonkers, Mt. Vernon & lower Westchester, unlike Staten Island, Brooklyn, Queens & part of The Bronx, voted not to become a burrough. Thus it is referred to at times as the 6th Burrough. That is why the subway stopped within sight of the Bronx/Yonkers line, after having been planned to go into Getty Square, downtown Yonkers.

I did not know that. Thank you for sharing that.
I live in Inwood and the Spuyten Dyvil is actually man-made, thus separating Manhattan from the Bronx. No comment.

If you live in NYC, Westchester is considered upstate but anyone above Duchess will give you heck for saying it haha. Technically we’re supposed to say we’re from “the county” which is even more vague.

Pre-covid I would commute to the city so I’m not that remote. I had a shorter commute than some coworkers who lived in the Bronx!

And thanks for the Nova Scotia tip! I’d never heard of diving there before. I’m actually from Canada originally and am well experienced with the west coast diving but going to look up NS. That’s such a nice area.

Back
Top Bottom