Howdy from Music City

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnduhB

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Yes,
Newbie here from Nashville TN. (Well a suburb...but if I tell you precisely you would be lost)

No, I don't live above a saloon and speak in bits of country music songs. Yes, I do run into country music stars...but I usually don't recognize them. I like classic rock. But most of those guys are old and aren't really recognizeable from their "glory days". (They live here too)

I was working on a building out by the private airport and looked into flying lessons. Wayyyy too expensive for my tastes.

So I decided on scuba diving.
Now if the truth is told ..I have wanted to do this for practically forever. I grew up with Jacque Cousteau and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and Neptune 7 and a host of other movies. (James Bond)

I've looked into this off and on for decades. Had a friend in Idaho (when I was a teenager) who was a PADI instructor. My wife has an uncle who goes. Had others invite me to buddy for classes...but never had time or money to do it.
Now, my son is busy making all of life's mistakes and reporting to me about how I was right and how he should listened better...
So...I've got the time. This Spring I'll be way past debt free and the weather will be warmer and I wanna try this out.

I've seen a few LDS around here offering lessons and I have been lurking this website for a couple of months .
(I'm going to continue to do so)

I'm not going to do this for money but strictly pleasure. And where quarry diving might be interesting up to a point...
I wanna tickle the blue fish and poke at the yellow ones. I want to visit coral beds and watch the crabs...maybe pick up a lobster crawling around for dinner. Explore an old wreck and pretend to find treasure. Basically have a total tourist time after finishing a missionary work trip. (I like traveling for mission trips)

So...
The next time I go to Brazil instead of being stuck in the jungle then going home to recover I can head to a tourist area and hang out an extra few days to do something fun. (Not going back to Honduras no matter how good the diving is)

I think (although I'm not sure sure) my wife and I are looking to get AOW and Nitrox certifications. Just so we can do most of the recreational diving. (And not get completely exhausted doing so)

My wife has issues with vertigo and I sometimes have hayfever allergies but I'm thinking that by being careful and not overly eager we can have a lot of fun.

Might have a couple of alternates for buddies if my wife can't dive...but...

We obviously are going to have to get gear. I'm going to have to shave and take lessons.
But I'm not really sure of what gear to get. A lot of what I once learned (as a teenager) is no longer relevant. What gear is best to rent when I get wherever. (To save on luggage charges)

Welcome. There are a lot of divers in the greater region; Pennyroyal Blue Springs Resort is a popular quarry where a lot of training is done, in Hopkinsville, KY. I believe ScubaNashville has a private quarry rented closer to you.

You mentioned Honduras; be aware the Bay Islands (e.g.: Roatan and Utila) are not the same as mainland Honduras. If you had a bad experience on the mainland, don't let it put you off the Bay Islands.

You will probably be required to buy your own mask, fins & snorkel for your open water course. Seems most buy open heel fins, so plan to buy scuba boots/booties. I recommend you get some with a fairly thick sole, in case you shore dive somewhere with entry/exit over iron shore, like Bonaire.

A dive computer is nice to own, so you can familiarize yourself with the interface.

If you're cool with renting BCD, regulator and wetsuit, fine. Assuming you're a fairly mainstream size. Now, if you've got a bowling ball size head, size 15 feet, long fingers, and you're big and chunky like, oh, somebody I know...you may want to own everything.

Richard.

I was thinking that I probably should buy regulators... putting something in my mouth that has been in someone else's?
One tooth mark and the revulsion factor is going to be extreme.

Yeah...

That's what I'm thinking.
I may be squeemish about that...and I understand scientifically that it's fine...but it's not going to make a difference.

I won't be comfortable until I have at least a secondary regulators of my own.

Welcome to Scuba Board John. You've come to a wonderful place.

Welcome to Scuba Board John. You've come to a wonderful place.

It looks really neat around here...
Everyone seems to be willing to share and explain things.
And either the Mods do a great job or ya'all are really civil towards each other. Which is nice.

I have to wear a hardhat and battle gear for a Christian website I moderate.

I think that I am going to enjoy my time here.

Welcome. For the most part everyone keeps their cool here. There are some topics that garner more debate than others but you should be fine (unless you start telling everyone that Jesus wore split fins).

Welcome. For the most part everyone keeps their cool here. There are some topics that garner more debate than others but you should be fine (unless you start telling everyone that Jesus wore split fins).

:rofl3:

:angrymob:

Or that he saved Peter on the sea with a SpareAir. :D

Or that he saved Peter on the sea with a SpareAir. :D
And here all this time I thought that it was buddy breathing...

Who knew?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom