Howdy all

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Captain Andy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Greetings,
I am new to this board but not to diving forums. I was known as NY-Andy on DS and CCR Wrecker on RBW. I have been lurking for a little bit and figured I'd jump in!

I generally dive off the south side of Long Island. I am a retired Tec instructor who enjoys mentoring.

Regards,
Andy

Welcome. Tell us a bit about the diving in the Long Island area. Someone once told me the diving out of New Jersey has low viz., and it'd be cold of course. What kind of viz. do you usually see around Long Island? Is it wreck diving, or other types?

We have good and bad days for visibility. I'd say we probably average 20' or so. I have seen 60' on the Oregon one week and 3 the next. Water temps get rather nice around this time bottom temps in the 50s lower on the deeper wrecks. Surface temps get into the 70s so the hangs are generally nice.

We have some awesome wrecks up here:
USS San Diego (110 fsw)
RMS Oregon (130 fsw)
Coimbra ( 180 fsw)
RC Mohawk (110)
The list goes on.

Welcome to ScubaBoard! Glad to have you on board!

Are those depths the bottom they sit on, or the tops of the wrecks you hit first as you descend, or the main 'deck' or similar?

Richard.
Hey Richard,
They are max depth. The San Diego starts at around 70.
Oregon has an engine that stands 50 feet off the bottom.
Coimbra starts at around 150 in the stern.
The RC is all at 100 or so. It is broken up.
You gonna make a trip up here?

You gonna make a trip up here?

Doubtful. I enjoyed the wreck diving out of Morehead City, NC, but that was warmer water, better viz. and had the sand tiger sharks (which were a big draw for me). Cold water diving can be fun, too; really enjoyed a Channel Islands trip to California a few years back.

Back
Top Bottom