How wet should a Poseidon Jetstream breath?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

philsplodge

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am interested to know how "wet" I should expect my Jetstream to be. Recently I have identified a condition called Saltwater Aspiration Syndrome where if I breath a mist of salt water into my lungs for any length of time I get a raised temperature after the dive.
I have noticed that several CCs of water enter the reg whilst breathing out if I am not careful to have the diaphragm in a down position (ie tilting my head down and slightly towards the hose).
I have had the regs serviced and was told the diaphram to be in good condition, although not replaced at the last service. If I try to breath in with the air OFF there are no leaks. The water just seems to enter when breathing out if the diaphragm is near the verticle.

Is this normal for a Jetstream?

You folks may be interested to know that despite lots of changes to mouthpieces, and even changes to mouths (I asked a buddy to try my regs), even checks on the hoses I stlll tasted salt during each dive and got a raised temperature after the dive.

With the same mouth and almost the same mouthpiece (I had tried an Apeks mouthpiece on the Jetstream) I swapped my regs for Apeks XTX40 and used them in salt water without a problem. No salt to taste, and no temperature afterwards.

All sorted.

I have no problems with my jetstreams breathing wet at all! They breath dry in every position. I guess I have just been lucky.., oh yeah, I have a SeaCure mouth piece on it too.

I have no problems with my jetstreams breathing wet at all! They breath dry in every position. I guess I have just been lucky.., oh yeah, I have a SeaCure mouth piece on it too.

My Jetstreams breathe dry too, but for a while, I was experiencing fever symptoms that I figured were also saltwater aspiration syndrome-related.

The thing with Jetstreams is that, because the exhaust is on the side, water that enters the chamber as a matter of course (when you smile, laugh, etc; if your reg is taking on water from other points, that's a different story) isn't completely expelled as you just continue breathing normally, unlike with a standard "upright" regulator. Some water likely sits right at the bottom of the tube, and becomes saltwater mist when you breathe in.

I still feel water come in sometimes (like I said, when I'm moving my reg around, since I don't bite down hard on the mouthpiece; or sometimes I take the reg out of my mouth for whatever reason, and when I put it back in, of course there's water) -- what I do then is just to make sure I clear the reg completely, taking extra care to tilt my head to the left so the the exhaust is downward.

Even when the reg doesn't feel wet, I sometimes notice that, when I exhale through my nose, there's a mist in my mask; I only notice this happen with my Poseidons and never with my Atomic, so I figure that the mist is saltwater mist. When this happens, again, I just make sure to clear the reg completely of water.

So far, so good. :) No more fever. Hope this helps.

I have the same problem as philsplodge, fever after the dive which started only when I got my new jetstreams, I agree I sometimes feel wet breath, I thought it is due to non-comfortable mouthpiece but I will try again with taking care to empty the second stage as monster mentioned everynow and then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom