How to wear a PONY? And not look like a DORK!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flyboy08

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I wear a traditional BC with plenty of D rings and am wondering what is the best way to attache a 13cf pony to my kit? I have not dove with it yet... I use a long hose and bungee setup at present and will be diving the Brac in January and want to dive with the pony...

Actual pictures would be helpful...commentary welcomed.

So I wear a traditional BC with plenty of D rings and am wondering what is the best way to attache a 13cf pony to my kit? I have not dove with it yet... I use a long hose and bungee setup at present and will be diving the Brac in January and want to dive with the pony...

Actual pictures would be helpful...commentary welcomed.
Dork? Why do you think that? Why do you think that is important?

To answer your question, stage straps on the cylinder with snap-bolts attached to left shoulder D-ring and left waist D-ring, Reg on pony clipped to pony's upper clipbase, pony turned off unless needed. In other words, treat it like a small deco bottle. Make sure its position and clipping does not impede providing the long hose.

Dork? Why do you think that? Why do you think that is important?

To answer your question, stage straps on the cylinder with snap-bolts attached to left shoulder D-ring and left waist D-ring, Reg on pony clipped to pony's upper clipbase, pony turned off unless needed. In other words, treat it like a small deco bottle. Make sure its position and clipping does not impede providing the long hose.

Hi flyboy 08,

Yeah, like tursiops said.

I tank mount a 6cf pony to my tank with the pony bottle valve down. That way, I can manipulate the pony valve with my right hand (I dive with the pony reg charged and the valve off). In my thumbnail picture, you can see my pony reg hose and bolt-snap on my right side. The pony second stage is right below the bolt-snap.

The 13cf does fit on the side of my main tank, but it is a PITA.

13cf or larger are best rigged as tursiops suggests, IMHO.

You have more than 200 dives, so I know you will remember to inflate your BC manually (orally), while doing pony bottle ascents, as your pony does not have a connection to your BC inflator.

markm

You have more than 200 dives, so I know you will remember to inflate your BC manually, while doing pony bottle ascents, as your pony does not have a connection to your BC inflator.
Good point. Also, of course, once you need to go to the pony the dive is over (especially with a 13 cuft tank) so you are normally ascending...which would usually mean deflating, not inflating, until you get to the surface!

I set up a ring bungee and choker like I'm side mounting to carry my 13cu ft pony. Tucks right in under my arm and disappears. Also works fine mounted to my backplate like an argon bottle. After diving with it, the ring bungee is the best option I've found though.

Attachments

• IMG_20181013_142931851.jpg
    IMG_20181013_142931851.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 299
Good point. Also, of course, once you need to go to the pony the dive is over (especially with a 13 cuft tank) so you are normally ascending...which would usually mean deflating, not inflating, until you get to the surface!

Hi tursiops,

Yeah, I totally agree.

Flyboy is a pilot. He knows that AC accidents don' usually occur because of one issue. It is usually a cascading event of 2 or more problems.

I train for pony bottle ascents using the same mentality. I start off heavy which requires a little gas in my BC. Then I rip off my mask, deflate my BC, and cast off my primary reg after exhaling.

Now I have three issues to resolve. So far, I have not flubbed-up my practice solo diving emergencies...as I am still alive.

I have been dropped-in on by lousy divers. They (husband and wife did it to me once, each of them, on the same day). They banged my head with their tanks. One of them knocked my mask off kilter. The other ripped my reg out of my mouth with her tank bottom.

I don't dive with that group anymore.

I worry about cascading issues and I try to practice for them.

I will replay the above practice scenario once while on Curacao while Surging with Scubaboard.

markm

Hi tursiops,

Yeah, I totally agree.

Flyboy is a pilot. He knows that AC accidents don' usually occur because of one issue. It is usually a cascading event of 2 or more problems.

I train for pony bottle ascents using the same mentality. I start off heavy which requires a little gas in my BC. Then I rip off my mask, deflate my BC, and cast of my primary reg after exhaling.

Now I have three issues to resolve. So far, I have not flubbed-up my practice solo diving emergencies...as I am still alive.

I have been dropped-in on by lousy divers. They (husband and wife did it to me once, each of them, on the same day). They banged my head with their tanks. One of them knocked my mask off kilter. The other ripped my reg out of my mouth with her tank bottom.

I don't dive with that group anymore.

I worry about cascading issues and I try to practice for them.

I will replay the above scenario once while on Curacao while Surging with Scubaboard.

markm
Totally agree...

I had an interesting conversation with a fellow on my last trip who was tech-rigged (long hose, bungeed alternate) carrying a 6 cuft pony, who said he wanted to be prepared for an OOG event at 100 ft while diving solo. I asked him whether he thought his 6 cuft were enough gas, and he proudly explained he'd tried using it for an ascent from 100 ft and had made it just fine, including a 3-min safety stop. We worked through the numbers, and he'd come up at 60 ft/min, and was breathing his normal SAC rate. And, of course, he'd used the entire 6 cuft to do his ascent.....not allowing for any accelerated breathing, or time-spent-on-bottom before ascending, or any other issues. He kept looking at his little pony, kind of unhappy after the concept of cascades was pointed out. Then I showed him how his long-hose was fouled -- by having put his necklace on last -- if he tried to donate it. His reaction? "I'm diving solo, I don't need to donate it." Oh, well.

Totally agree...

I had an interesting conversation with a fellow on my last trip who was tech-rigged (long hose, bungeed alternate) carrying a 6 cuft pony, who said he wanted to be prepared for an OOG event at 100 ft while diving solo. I asked him whether he thought his 6 cuft were enough gas, and he proudly explained he'd tried using it for an ascent from 100 ft and had made it just fine, including a 3-min safety stop. We worked through the numbers, and he'd come up at 60 ft/min, and was breathing his normal SAC rate. And, of course, he'd used the entire 6 cuft to do his ascent.....not allowing for any accelerated breathing, or time-spent-on-bottom before ascending, or any other issues. He kept looking at his little pony, kind of unhappy after the concept of cascades was pointed out. Then I showed him how his long-hose was fouled -- by having put his necklace on last -- if he tried to donate it. His reaction? "I'm diving solo, I don't need to donate it." Oh, well.

Hi tursiops,

I use my 6cf for "solo" diving with a buddy or a group. I consider it more than sufficient to get me to my buddy without having to hold my breath in case of an emergency. Worst case scenario, I suck off it without a Safety Stop and ascend straight for the surface.

I have done practice solo ascents while on my 6 cf bottle. I have a spot just before Rubicon wall (Lake Tahoe) where the hard bottom is at about 75 feet. I do perform the "cascading scenario" regime there but have never bounced off the bottom (60-65 feet deep). After reaching the surface, my 6cf pony is spent. The 13cf bottle is a much better choice.

markm

Back
Top Bottom