How to trim drysuit seals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jaaron82

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just purchased my first drysuit and would like suggestions on methods used for determining how much to cut and how to cut seals properly. Thanks

Silicone

I get the idea of a clean cut just not sure how tight they should be

Stretch the seal onto some circular object. Build up the seal where you need to cut with blue tape as a shoulder / guide. Most importantly use a fiskar circular cutter. Once you start cutting keep rotating the cutter and the round object. Don’t stop or you will have an uneven lip.

Cut one ring at a time. Silicone stretches really well. Unless you have huge wrists, you may not need to cut anything.

If you have a replaceable seal system it won’t be traumatic if you make a mistake.

Unless they're squeezing the blood completely out immediately
you must dive the suit first, as the seals puff up out and loosen.

PIA

I have two pairs, two sizes of scissors dedicated to my drysuits

A practiced seamstress of many years you see
but nothing you can't practice, on the first ring

I was able to get the neck and wrist seals on and although it was tight it wasn’t crazy tight or constricting that I could tell , maybe a little tight on the neck. I do have user replaceable seals but hopefully won’t screw things up and waste a perfectly good new set of seals. This is my first suit so I have no experience with what “ feels right “

I have not trimmed a seal since I switched to silicone. If you have the right size, you shouldn't have to.

Back
Top Bottom