How to travel from Koh Tao to Krabi (or Trang)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buay

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello there,

Me and my b/f, we're planning to take scuba courses, AOW for me .. and OW for my b/f.. i noticed that Koh Toa course deals are much cheaper compare to Andaman's .. so we're planning to do AOW/OW at Koh Tao, once we finish, we'll travel to Andaman coast for diving.

can anyone suggest me how to travel from Koh Toa to Krabi or Trang?

any other suggestions are most welcome ;-)

I wish I could remember how I did it in 2001. Seems we took a boat from Koh Tao to a mainland port further south, then a van to Krabi. I didn't have any trouble making the connections and buying a ticket on Koh Tao.

There are different ways to go.

1) The least expensive is to buy a combo ticket from a travel agent on Tao which will include a ferry ticket to the mainland (Surat Thani, or if there's no availability try Chumphon) and a bus ticket from there to Krabi.
2) You can opt for a shared-ride van service that travels nonstop directly to Krabi. Ask about this option through a travel agency on Tao.
3) It's also possible to simply buy a ferry to the mainland and negotiate a fare with a taxi to take you across the peninsula (in this case make sure you go to Surat Thani as it's closer to Krabi).
4) A more expensive alternative is to take a ferry to Samui and then catch a flight from Samui to Krabi on Bangkok Airways.
5) For getting to Trang you can catch a bus or a train from Surat Thani.

Thanks, Quero... I was going to check my trip log to find out. I took the first option when I did it.

Sawadee ka drbill and Quero
Thankz so much to you guys.. i will be there around 16 to 22 Nov..
i'm planing to hop around Ao Nang, Koh Lanta, Koh Phi Phi and catch some good dives ..

around 17-22 Nov, is it crowded time already? Can you tell me if i should book the accom all in advance? i hope to walk around and find some place to stay .. this will allow some flexibility in my schedule.. all i need some basic clean lodge .. please suggest me.. :0)

and many thanks again..
Buay

Thinks are starting to pick up, but aren't busy yet. In two weeks (when you get here) it will be a bit busier, but not packed. You should ba able to wander around Ao Nang, Lanta, and Phi Phi to find lodging. I would suggest, though, that you become familiar with the places via Internet before you arrive so that you have an idea where (geographically) you want to stay. Lanta, for example, is all spread out and sparse, except for the town of Saladan where the ferry docks. Phi Phi has the town area and the other bay behind it, plus further off beaches which you have to either walk to or take a boat. Ao Nang is pretty concentrated, but long and narrow.

Im in Phiphi island by the way,and most of the fan rooms in the guesthouses here are fully booked.But if u are going diving theres cheap divers accommodation in moskito diving, they also have trips to hin daeng/hin muang and ko haa and also the king cruiser wrecked,plus the anemone reef and shark point,they have speed boats and really nice boat for local trips around Phiphi.

Surat Thani may drive you nuts, but is only way to go unless you want to fork out for flights.

I recommend Similans, Surins and Richelieu above PhiPhi area. I have worked in both and Andaman Sea sites are superior....and more expensive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom