How to stow your camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ssssnake529

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
When you are diving, do you ever stow your camera by attaching it to your BCD? Clip it to a d-ring perhaps? Some other method?

I'm new to diving and bought a SeaLife Micro 3.0 Pro 3000 Camera & Light.

When I'm diving, should I plan on holding on to the camera the entire time I am diving?

Is there a good way to stow your camera when you're just swimming around and not taking pictures?

Total depends on the situation and what size you setup is

For big rig I would just have small budge clip on each strobe arm and clip each one off to each shoulder D-ring. Hangs right on your chest. similar to this but I would use actual SS bolt snaps or AL climbing carabiners not those plastic buckles.

While swimming around or with a smaller camera setup I just single clip it to my BO rigging top bolt snap eye. just hangs right below by BO first stage, easy and quick access

But really the best thing to do is play around with it and find what works best for you. What works for some might now work for you and what works for you might now work for others. There are a million ways to rig a camera and the best way is what works for you

I keep mine clipped off at all times.
Phil green gloves_DSC6263.jpg

Clipped off to a D-ring with a coil lanyard. I usually carry it in my hands the whole dive and clipped in. I clip it so it the lanyard is not in the way for movement and seeing the camera screen. btw I connect the lanyard to the camera not the tray - camera, lens, housing and ports are where most of my money is, though strobes, tray and arms are not cheap.

two tether lines attached to bottom of camera tray - on either side

the left tether attaches to my left chest D ring
the right tether attaches to my right waist D ring

when buckled, it stays near my abdomen

to use, I just unbuckle

makes getting on the boat faster as well - I don't have to pass my camera on to the captain

but I do have a more compact system (Olympus tg6 in housing with an arm)

diveshop.ae-product-image-trident-r517-01.jpg

I just carry mine, in an emergency I would just drop it and grab it later if possible.
Last thing I want to mess with in an emergency is a camera.

I use an old sports show lace which is knotted so my camera can hang from my BCD at arms length. So it's easy to find as sometimes I leave it hang for some extra trim for being in that horizontal trim if needed. Here it is around my hands when filming.

Good thing is shoe lace is nice and soft and sometimes I can use it to tie other things. Also it's very easy to pack up and get dry quickly. Can use a clip and attach to D ring. My dive torch uses a velcro strap and hangs off a D ring. My DSMB also it attached to a shoe lace as well. I don't use a spool I use a nylon rope for my DSMB as sometimes I use it as a lift bag. Can come in handy of you have a BCD failure.

AVAI @ WHALE SHARK.JPG

Clipped off to a D-ring with a coil lanyard. I usually carry it in my hands the whole dive and clipped in. I clip it so it the lanyard is not in the way for movement and seeing the camera screen. btw I connect the lanyard to the camera not the tray - camera, lens, housing and ports are where most of my money is, though strobes, tray and arms are not cheap.
I actually attach the tray and camera with a short bungee in addition to screws.

ALWAYS clipped using at least the coiled lanyard hedonist222 referenced above. Allows you to just let go when you find you need both hands for something else. I also keep the rig as neutral as possible so it doesn't float or sink away too quickly. I'm a big fan of marsh9077's rigging, I may re-rig for that this season.

When finning between features I'll hold it against my abdomen (lens facing down) to streamline things a bit. You'll notice the reduction in drag.

ALWAYS clipped using at least the coiled lanyard hedonist222 referenced above. Allows you to just let go when you find you need both hands for something else. I also keep the rig as neutral as possible so it doesn't float or sink away too quickly. I'm a big fan of marsh9077's rigging, I may re-rig for that this season.

When finning between features I'll hold it against my abdomen (lens facing down) to streamline things a bit. You'll notice the reduction in drag.

I need to shorten my straps

I cannot hover over something as closely as I'd like.
Theres about 10 cm of slack.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom